rust in intake manifold

russhughes1

Cadet
i finally got my carb put back together to spec and i went to put it back on and noticed there was some rust down in the intake manifold.a friend of mine told me it was normal because it was cast iron and the boat set for about a year but it just didnt seem right to me so i figured id ask some people who might know about this sort of thing.so i guess what im asking is if its normal for there to be some rust or is there another problem im not seeing.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: rust in intake manifold

If your refering to the 140 thats in your profile it might just be worth pulling the minifold and blowing out any rust and or residue left form sitting especialy if the carb wasn't on it during that time plus whats a couple more gaskets. Also for future postings it would be a good idea to insert what your working on! motor size,make and year

russhughes1

Cadet

sorry about that its a 83 mercruiser 140 serial #a439321 carb #1389-8490 and i went ahead and vaccumed what was loose alsothe rust didnt seem like it was flakey. but the carb was on the boat when it was sitting so i dont know if that changes anything,so should it be alright to put everything back together or is the rust going to be a problem

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Chances are you'll be ok but that is why I said chances. But your the one to make that decission.