1978 150 HP Evinrude, removing the power trim unit, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Browning117

Recruit
What's up guy's, I'm having a hard time with this issue on my buddy's boat. The power trim unit needs to be replaced and I've started that process already. I ordered the new assembly already and I'm ready to put it in, but the old one won't come off. I removed all the bolts (6 of them), have the motor propped up on a chair so it's out of the way and it won't come out. It's loose and moves all around, it's like a ghost is holding it in. Do I have to remove the whole motor and housing unit or what? I can tell that the cylinder on the right (as you are looking at it) is hitting the top of the mount that holds the motor. As we speak, I have an engine hoist around the motor and ready to lift the whole thing off, before I did I just decided to ask if someone knows more than me. I'm mechanically inclined but I've never ever done anything with boats or motors. The reason I don't want to remove it if I don't have to is because the previous owner must have broken the back part of the boat, the part that holds the motor on. The fiberglass is cracked and he or someone else repaired it by running a thick piece of steel outside and inside and bolting them together. Well, these bolts are attached to the mount that the motor is on. Basically, it's a b**** and I have no room for error. Someone please help!!! If you want to you can call me, the name is Brian and I would appreciate any kind of help. I can also send u pics and short videos from my I-phone, call me anytime, 559-786-0671. I don't care if it's 3 in the morning, I just need help

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 150 HP Evinrude, removing the power trim unit, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On that model, there are two ways to remove the PTT assembly.

One is to remove the engine from the boat first.

The other is to have the engine properly supported so that it absolutely is impossible for it to drop down or to move sideways in the port (left) direction. With the engine properly supported, remove the nut from the steering tube and the bolts that retain the port transom bracket to the engine.... slide the transom bracket down the steering tube and out of the way. Now, you can remove the PTT assembly.

Browning117

Recruit
Re: 1978 150 HP Evinrude, removing the power trim unit, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I had to do it the other day. I used the cherry picker to hold the engine in place and just loosened the starboard transom mount, it came right out. Now, the part I bought is compatible but my old Power Trim Motor is a 3 wire and the new one is a 2 wire, the old wires are (black, green, white) and the new wires are (blue,green). Do you know how I hook this up properly? Thanks again for your help

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Your present setup is the one solenoid type that uses the regular three wire electric motor. Your replacement setup is the two relay type that uses the dual polarity electric motor. Unfortunately the two types do not interchange.

You will need to use your old electric motor OR install the newer relay setup.