1989 Johnson GT 150 oil leak

chesney1603

Seaman
So I've been out on the water about three times a week for the past two months. Boat has been doing great. Took it out three days ago and it ran great all day long. Tried to go out today and the sucker wouldn't start. Got home changed the plugs and checked for fuel leaks. All is good. Charged the batteries, and when I went outside to try and start it I noticed engine oil leaking down the skeg. It's also around the hub of the prop. What the hell did I do? Blow the motor? Like I said it ran great three days ago, not a single sign of there being a problem. Please oh wise ones, help me out

Re: 1989 Johnson GT 150 oil leak

Most likely its just excess unburned fuel and oil coming out the exhaust, it happens all the time. 9 times out of 10 you cant see a lower unit leaking.

If it wont start, check spark and compression first.

JDusza

Ensign

Not sure the two are related; not starting and oil leaking...

Engine oil...gotta trace this upstream; engine or lower unit?
Anyway, yes, compression, spark and fuel. That's what's needed to run.
Compression: you probably have it since it's been running.
Spark: unknown, could be the culprit: air gap spark test required.
Fuel: is carburetor getting fuel from the fuel pump?
Can you spray premixed fuel into the carbs or cylinders, then see if it fires?

Why did you change the plugs?
J

chesney1603

Seaman

I have spark. I changed them because I'm not sure when they were changed last. Plus they looked really gummed up. I tried spraying starter fluid in both the carbs and cylinders...still won't turn over. It's engine oil not lower unit. I can tell by the smell.

chesney1603

Seaman

so I just checked spark..none. It lost spark from three days ago just sitting in my driveway. What do I need to look at?

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

Might sound stupid but check your controls, there's probably a switch for a safety tether on there that might have been triped.
That hapened to my dad a few summers ago and it made us cuss for a while before my son found it.

chesney1603

Seaman

So I double checked all fuel lines and found a minor leak..fixed that. I pulled one of the spark plugs to check spark and as I turned the engine over it started with only five plugs in. Put everything back together and now it fires up better that it did three days ago. Strange. Thanks guys for helping out