experienced tech ideas

So i have a no spark situation on 1996 ``ED'' 40 horse johnson. I performed the charge coil output tests after eliminating the kill wire. It showed I had no output. So i ohms checked it and it showed ok that way. Then i ohms checked the power coil side of the stator and its not ok. So this led me to believe i had a bad stator for sure. Bought a new stator and put it on, still no spark. So i ohms checked the new stator, both sides test good. I checked the output and it still shows nothing. And Yes im using two known good dva/pva meters. The manual says to test the outputs of the stator with the amphenol connector unplugged/ not in line with power pack, did it that way still shows nothing. Did short to ground test as well, its not shorted. I didnt see any bad magnets under flywheel. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

JDusza

Ensign
Re: experienced tech ideas

Sounds like:

Test spark: No spark: coils test good, stator tests bad, ignition module unknown.
Replace stator.
Test spark: No spark: coils good, stator tests good, ignition module unknown.
Replace ignition module? Maybe?
How'd you have the dva hooked up?
J

My main problem is i cant get output from a new stator, or im reading it wrong somehow. Stevens cd-77

red probe to pin a or pin b on the 5 pin connector black probe to clean engine ground. 230v or higher

I also tried it on a fluke multimeter with a stevens dva adapter.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To check for total output you have to have both leads of the cd-77 connected to both a & b. Not one to ground.