New boat owner with a few questions

mhuntley

Recruit
I recently purchased an 01 bayliner 215 Capri w/ 5.0

Yesterday, which was my second day out, there were 3-4ft swells on lake Ontario, how should I be trimmed? And how bad is it to have a hard landing when coming down from these?

I have a cover with straps that go under and over the boat and am having problems with it holding water in the bow and cockpit, how can I stop this?

I filled my gas tank and my fuel gauge said I have a 3/4 full tank, and sometimes after cruising down the lake a bit I will stop for a few minutes and the gauge will read that I have more gas than I started with. How can I fix this?

I would like to purchase a prop, prop wrench and a nut for emergencies, what else should I have on my boat for emergencies besides my coast guard package?

Thanks in advance

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: New boat owner with a few questions

I recently purchased an 01 bayliner 215 Capri w/ 5.0

Congratulations on your purchase. Now say goodbye to any extra cash you may have lying around. The boat gets what the boat wants...

Yesterday, which was my second day out, there were 3-4ft swells on lake Ontario, how should I be trimmed? And how bad is it to have a hard landing when coming down from these?

That is an almost impossible question to answer because every situation is different. Head on to the crests? Coming in awarthship? From behind? Speed? Winds? Incoming or outgoing tides? Basically, the best all around scenario is to trim the outdrive so that at the top of the crest then prop stays in the water. You may get more drag from the lower unit, but you never want to lose propulsion. Trim tabs help in this situation. Reduce speed coming down the wave and increase going up the face. Never take waves directly from the rear. If you have no choice, then zig-zag back and forth so they come from an angle. Be careful not to broach, either. Sorry about being vague, but there is no concrete answer.

I have a cover with straps that go under and over the boat and am having problems with it holding water in the bow and cockpit, how can I stop this?

A couple of adjustable support poles placed in the boat (or bows) will help. You can either make your own or buy them premade right here on iBoats.

I filled my gas tank and my fuel gauge said I have a 3/4 full tank, and sometimes after cruising down the lake a bit I will stop fora few minutes and the gauge will read that I have more gas than I started with. How can I fix this?

That is due to the sloshing of fuel in the tank. You may have some interference with a sticky or gummed up sending unit as well. If you have access, remove the sending unit from the tank and make sure it's properly adjusted for the size of the tank. Make sure it has full range of motion and the gauge reads from empty to full. Make sure the float is able to go all the way to the top of the tank to read properly. Finally, make sure all connections are clean and tight.

I would like to purchase a prop, prop wrench and a nut for emergencies, what else should I have on my boat for emergencies besides my coast guard package?

This has been the subject of numerous threads. Search them and go thru the lists and see what you have room for. Personally, here's what I have carried on everything from an 18' runabout to my current 40':

Spare spark plugs, spare belt (& hoses if you have them), fuel filter, 2 quarts oil, wire ties, emergency tape, under water filling putty (small tube), assorted tools to replace/install the previous items, battery jump box, assorted electrical crimp connectors, 20' electrical wire.

Most of those items will fit in a canvas bag about 14" x 8" and can store under the seat. You may find other things you feel that you need to have, and if you have room, go for it. Basically, you need the important items that will allow you to limp back to the closest port for repairs. The spare prop may seem like overkill (which I thought so, too), until I lost mine 12 miles into the atlantic. I was soooo happy to have that spare. Don't forget the thrust washer to go with it because if you lose a prop, you'll lose everything with it.