87 Bayliner Capri1750

Kovman70

Recruit
Just got my first boat and took it out. After 3 hrs of going up and down the river it started to over heat. I assume it is the thermostat but I cant find the housing. It has a 2.3L ford motor and OMC outboard. I thought it would be the same as a car but nope I was wrong. Also I cant find where the impeller is so I can check it. Any and all help is appreciated

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 Bayliner Capri1750

Take off the back cover off the outdrive and you will see a housing where the impeller is.

You may want to get a factory OMC manual at some point(Not a SELOC or Clymer) if you want to do your own servicing.

Also, read this site for other info about the OMC Cobra drive.
http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

Kovman70

Recruit

Take off the back cover off the outdrive and you will see a housing where the impeller is.

You may want to get a factory OMC manual at some point(Not a SELOC or Clymer) if you want to do your own servicing.

Also, read this site for other info about the OMC Cobra drive.
http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

Thanks. I planned on it but like I said I just got it and was wanting to try this on my own. Does this motor have a thermastat? I have been looking on the internet and I dont think it does.

Kovman70

Recruit

ok. I checked the impeller and it looks good. No cracks or missing fins. I started the boat with the ears on it and it seems to be getting water throughtout the system. Could there be something else causing the boat to over heat like that.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

First thing I do when I see temps climb is throw her into reverse. Many times you'll pick up some vegetation that will block the water inlet. Reverse for a coupe of seconds clears it.

Kovman70

Recruit

Thanks guys. I now have the repair manuel. I found everything I needed so far. I guess the next test is taking it back to the water and trying it again. Thanks for all the help and info.