Trouble finding correct shift rod height - getting different info for Johnson 150

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys - I'm getting different info on the correct shift rod height for a 2001 Johnson 150, model # is RJ150VXSIF
My manual says Extra long shaft 25" = as 26 29/32 to 26 31/32nds.
BUT - the OMC guy tells me it should be 26 3/4"
That like an 1/8th of inch difference
H E L P !!!
I just put in new gears/clutch and want to get this right
THANKS

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trouble finding correct shift rod height - getting different info for Johnson 150

I tend to go by the manual specs, it is a factory manual correct?

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trouble finding correct shift rod height - getting different info for Johnson 150

The model # you gave shows a V after the 150 designator. According to the BRP Model Year Guide that letter V would indicate a "special gearcase".
If you have an OEM manual and it specifically list your model# than I would go with their specs. If you are using an aftermarket manual, such as clymer or seloc, I would do a little more research.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Shift rod height should be 26 3/4"

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

The manual I'm using is a Clymer, I bought the engine 2nd hand and that's what they said they used on it. Sorry - Im a bit of a novice on boat engines but know my way around older car engines via Mfg'er and Chilton's manuals. I tore apart the lower unit as I was getting severe "kicking" in forward gear like I was hitting a submerged log every 12 seconds.
I'm guessing u guys would recommend a Johnson Service Manual is that the way to go? Are they specific to a year bulit or do they cover multi years of mfging?
I will go with Faztbullet's recommendation of 26 3/4"
Thanks to all - your info has been VERY helpful

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree with Fatzbullet.....