OMC Stringer Dry Bilge

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there anyone here that runs an OMC Stringer that never gets any water in the bilge? I have been told that it is common to have a certain amount of water in the bilge after being in the water for a day.

Larry E

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Stringer Dry Bilge

I go out for a a week at a time and never have to use the bilge pump.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

i never had water in the bilge with my Avanti unless from skiing and tubing. then we would drag in about 2-3 gallons in a day. if you have water in the bilge, you may have a leak

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

I have a '75 stringer and the only time I get water in the bilge is from rain, swimmers, or a leaking hose. You need to do a little investigation and find out where the water is coming from. Start by launching the boat and just leave it tied up to the dock/anchored with no engine running for a while and see if you find any water. Pay particular attention to the transom boot. It helps to have a bright flashlight and an inspection mirror to see the bottom parts under the engine. Also check the drain plug and any other through-hull fittings you have.

southkogs

Staff member

I've still got a small leak to work out. Dunno' where it is yet, and keep putting sealants on stuff to see if I can catch it. But I also have a bundle of through hull fittings - steering goes through the transom, big ole' boot, plug, swim platform connections below the water line ...

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

Mine seems to take on about a gallon an hour if it is just sitting. while moving it takes on way less. I have sealed EVERYTHING I can find and still I get a little water. I WISH I could keep it 100% dry but for a 40 year old boat I figure I am doing ok.

I do have a bilge... and a backup I figure that is the BEST thing I can do until I find where it is coming in..