ID this motor?

Jeepersheart

Cadet
ok so I just bought a 25 hp johnson and I will be the firth to tell you I know nothing about marine motors, automotive motors I can find my away around pretty well. My problem the small plate that model and serial numbers where on is gone, I see the holes and flat spot where it once lived but the plate is long gone. So is there somewhere else I can find the needed numbers or can you fellas give me an idea from pics so I can get the proper manuals. I can get more pics in the morning these are the only ones I have at the moment and my google kung fu is weak tonight.

2012-04-19_15-25-47_690.jpg

2012-04-19_13-34-45_743.jpg

I will say she runs like a champ, cleaned it up a bit, fresh fuel/oil, and insulated a few bare wires. pulled my 68 14' all open fiberglass steury to a top speed of 26MPH on the river with about 340lbs of people and 2 loaded coolers onboard.

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: ID this motor?

Hi Jeep, that looks to be a 1983 25hp model number J25RLCTE , there should be a round shiny disk that looks like a freeze plug about the size of a quarter located between the two cylinders on the starboard/right hand side of the motor, it will have Serial and Model number on it, if it's painted try to remove the paint, let us know what you find.

Jeepersheart

Cadet

Awesome... found the plug and the model number. You must know your motors my friend you were dead on its a 83. Thanx for help now i can go and get some repair and owners manuals. The number you listed is the model number on my motor, now under that number there was another set of numbers is that the serial number?

hidef

Lieutenant

That would be the serial number. If you going to buy the service manual buy the OMC/BRP manual. The third party manuals are useless.

jasper60103

Commander

Congrats. From the pics, it looks like you got a runner.
Change the water pump and lower unit lube for good measure.
Good luck.