Power trim noise

MSD

Recruit
I have a 1990 model Johnson 88 SPL ....Model # J88MSLESA
When I raise or lower the motor the power trim makes a loud squealing noise. It does not do this everytime, maybe once out of every 4 times. It makes the loud noise for only about 5 - 10 seconds, then it sounds perfectly normal. This may happen first thing of the day or it may happen when I'm retreiving the boat....it kind of random and may go for a couple of trips without making the sound. Any ideas? Thank you

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power trim noise

Have you greased the fittings on the tilt tube ??

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

My 88spl '93 does exact same thing only when there is a load on it. Ie running @ 3000 rpm. Resivoir is full and tubes greased. It sorta sounds like air in the system. I have a tractor that will make a similar noise in hydraulic system but it is self bleeding.
I. Wonder if a complete flush and refill will help.
what's the word boobie?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If I posted it on this forum, I'd get laughed off of it. That is for the squealing noise.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

LOL you mean your trim not making squealing noise? Mine did it again today when I was running wot to finish decarb procedure.
Hasn't really been a problem...only does it for a second or two when I have to drastically change trim position while getting on it pretty hard.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear you run at wot after decarb. That's the proper way.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Decarb went great but thats another thread.
Any word on hydraulic noise? I don't think its a big deal IMO