bilge wiring help?

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a new pump. It has 3 wires. Black brown and brown/white
Boats existing wires are black brown and another thicker brown that is actually a duplex wire. What is that wire?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: bilge wiring help?

Brown is a power lead from the battery. Usually goes to the float switch (if installed), then to the pump. Brown/white is a power lead from the helm switch that makes it run when switched to ON. Black is a ground from the battery.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i know where the wires are supposed to go. but the duplex wire is throwing me off. i dont know what it is

NYBo

Admiral

It sounds like your new pump has a built-in float switch. By "duplex," I take it you mean it has two conductors, which would indicate it also has a built-in float switch.

i think hes trying to say that he has a duplex on the boat which i presume is a 2 core wire? as for what it is......what was it attached to when you removed the old unit?

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes the duplex wire is on the existing wiring on the boat
yes the new pump has a built in switch(its an automatic rule mate 1100)
i can connect these wires. black to black(ground) brown to brown(i guess) and then brown/white to ??the duplex wire?? i dont know what that could be?

im not sure how it was previously hooked up, its been a while

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Assuming you have a 3 position switch controlling the pump, one direction is ON bypassing the float switch, the opposite direction is ON but only provides power to the float switch that then controls the pump and a third position, usually center, is OFF.

Fireman's got it right, Here's what the manufacturer says:
Brown (Positive) wire will connect directly to the Automatic side of the panel switch or power supply, if Brown wire is connected directly to power supply it needs to be properly fuse protected.
Connect the Brown/White trace (Positive) wire directly to the Manual side of panel switch. If the Manual override feature is not used this wire must be sealed to prevent water intrusion.
Connect the Black (Negative) wire to the Negative battery terminal or Negative Buss bar.
Wire the Bilge pump directly to power supply, this ensures the pump has power if the system on boat has been isolated.

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/sup...rized-or-rule-mate-pump-to-a-panel-switch.htm
- Grandad