Anymore MENSA members here?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I notice a lot of powerful intellects here and wonder if any of you are Mensans. I joined Mensa many years ago as a way to encourage my #1 daughter to join. It was both interesting and sometimes disappointing, but it really lit up my resume (I didn't have any advanced degrees then). I let my membership lapse after about 10 years.

Are you or is someone you know a Mensan? I would be interested to know how membership affected your life and career, so far.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anymore MENSA members here?

I don't like to throw it around JB, but I am a Mensa member. I haven't been to a meeting in awhile. It has really done nothing for my career or life, actually more of a waste of time and money. I think I have gotten more out of going to the legion to drink and chew the fat.

However, the scholarships they provide are great for students heading into college. I was done with college when I found out I could pass the mensa tests. It would be a great goal for your daughter to achieve.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I scored high enough on my SAT's to qualify, but never bothered to join. So far it doesn't sound like I missed much.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Men
Endlessly
Needing to
Spend
Abuttloadofmoney

Yeah, I think most of us boaters are members. :(

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

I was told that I should try to join by a member whose *** I subjugated in a chess tournament :D but I never tried - I'm probably not learnt enough :confused:

Philster

Captain

I scored high enough on my SAT's to qualify, but never bothered to join. So far it doesn't sound like I missed much.

This (qualifying based on SAT's) is one reason I decided it's a bunch of hooey. Well, aside from the fact that I'm stone cold stoopid. :D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have a question...why would anyone join this?

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not really how 'smart' you are, it's more of your thinking process. If you have a lot of common sense and/or you think very logically, you will do good on the tests. You can take some pre-tests for fun. If you do good, give it a try. Any man who can rig up a power washer to shoot hail and exploding cannon balls out of it has gotta be mensa worthy! :D

I work with a guy who has a PhD in physics, but 0 common sense. He is awesome for facts, crappy for fixing things. He didn't know how to install a relay in a relay socket.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a question...why would anyone join this?

I thought I would learn all the cool secrets and have a secret handshake like the masons. I was bamboozled. You'd think if you were smart enough to be in mensa, you'd be smart enough to see it was a scam?

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

No. I'm mad dumb.
I have thought about the Masons, sounds more fun. And I think I'm barely smart enough to make it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I thought I would learn all the cool secrets and have a secret handshake like the masons. I was bamboozled. You'd think if you were smart enough to be in mensa, you'd be smart enough to see it was a scam?
Maybe when you cut someone off and they yell at you and call you an idiot, you can whip out your MENSA card and prove that you aren't! :)

TilliamWe

Banned

I know this will upset some folks, but it has to be done! ;)

"Anymore

an?y?more
   [en-ee-mawr, -mohr] Show IPA

adverb
any longer.

nowadays; presently."

JB, perhaps you meant the title of your post to be "Any other Mensa members here?"

angus63

Captain

Never had any interest in Mensa, probably due to ignorance. Prefer to spend my free time in the drunk tank than the think tank anyways. More fun, less babble.

Philster

Captain

Wonder if more I/O owners are members of MENSA vs. O/B owners.

Probably filled with I/O owners. MENSA = My Engine Needs Service Again, right? :confused:

:D

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

maybe when you cut someone off and they yell at you and call you an idiot, you can whip out your mensa card and prove that you aren't! :)

lmao!

mensaguy.jpg
"Sorry sir, but you'll have to select another insult about my driving"

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

It's not really how 'smart' you are, it's more of your thinking process. If you have a lot of common sense and/or you think very logically, you will do good on the tests. You can take some pre-tests for fun. If you do good, give it a try. Any man who can rig up a power washer to shoot hail and exploding cannon balls out of it has gotta be mensa worthy! :D

I work with a guy who has a PhD in physics, but 0 common sense. He is awesome for facts, crappy for fixing things. He didn't know how to install a relay in a relay socket.
Indecreet kudos - thanks! The intelect is multi faceded. Einstein use to get lost going for a walk. It seems that his cogitation overpowered his awareness - that don't seem to smart. I have known many PHDs that don't seem to have much common since. Again they probably overthink. I beat a PHD mathimatician, 3, dimentianal chess professor from Yale - 5 wins 1 lost 1 draw in chess. He got so upset that I had to console him by convincing him he had the supperior intelect -I was sure of it. Then I further explained that in chess it doesn't matter what your title is, or what you have previously accomplished. The only thing that matters is where you place your pieces, and how fast.
I am involved in this thread because I have no life - my boat is all tore up.
What do you Mensa people do - sit around, and tell each other how smart you are? Forgive me I'm too dumb to figure it out. I sucked in school.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I know this will upset some folks, but it has to be done! ;)

"Anymore

an?y?more
   [en-ee-mawr, -mohr] Show IPA

adverb
any longer.

nowadays; presently."

JB, perhaps you meant the title of your post to be "Any other Mensa members here?"
Its a grade 4 English thing...has nothing to do with MENSA :)

It does annoy me that people fail to proofread or edit. It amazes me that some clearly smart folks couldn't pass grade 4 English.

I love this thread!

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Indecreet kudos - thanks! The intelect is multi faceded. Einstein use to get lost going for a walk. It seems that his cogitation overpowered his awareness - that don't seem to smart. I have known many PHDs that don't seem to have much common since. Again they probably overthink. I beat a PHD mathimatician, 3, dimentianal chess professor from Yale - 5 wins 1 lost 1 draw in chess. He got so upset that I had to console him by convincing him he had the supperior intelect -I was sure of it. Then I further explained that in chess it doesn't matter what your title is, or what you have previously accomplished. The only thing that matters is where you place your pieces, and how fast.
I am involved in this thread because I have no life - my boat is all tore up.
What do you Mensa people do - sit around, and tell each other how smart you are? Forgive me I'm too dumb to figure it out. I sucked in school.

Yes. I honestly thought that when I joined and went to a meeting, the meeting would be like a group of super genious people trying to solve world problems. I figured I could learn a thing or two or be part of something bigger. Maybe have some people help me figure out how to build a faster car with science and stuff, how to get better fuel mileage, how to make copius amounts of cash, etc. EEEEENNNNN! It was mostly a display of d-baggery. I was really dissappointed. So I stopped going.

I sucked at school too. I grew up in an atmosphere of continuous nagging that I was an idiot, and I believed it. I was an athlete. No plans of going to college, my money would be made playing hockey. It worked for awhile, til I got hit by a car! You could imagine the life change right? Anyways, I went to school without a clue. It turned out ok. I think the mensa thing was something I had to do to prove myself. It's not something I did to waive around in peoples faces and say "I'm smarter than you!" I was really proud of myself and it boosted my confidence, because not too many other people were. So R socey, don't be so hard on yourself. What would you rather be, a guy on this forum that guys like me go to for REAL advice and expertise, or in mensa? The guy I raced for was a high school drop out that made millions on bottling water that came out of a bunch of rocks in his back yard.