First time buying a boat. Please help!

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice
I mostly want the boat so when I want to go fishing out to the lakes and when I take my wife and 14 mo old son for a boat ride. Here's the boat that I'm interested in buying:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...80865424978&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

What questions should I ask before buying? Would this boat be comfortable for a small family out on the lake? What type of boats would you experts recommend? I appreciate all your input.

Best,

Jesse

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: First time buying a boat. Please help!

You'll get lots of opinions for sure. I have a young family and we boat on big lakes. In my opinion, that is not the boat for you. It is really a specialized fishing craft. The freeboard is too low for young kids, the seating is not right for a family, and not enough of a V for a comfortable ride.

What do you want to do with the boat? Cruise around? Fish? Beach and camp/explore? How big is the lake? Our lakes on the West Coast here are very big, and waves can get very big as well. Depending on what you want to do and where you want to go will dictate the ride.

My suggestion is a 16'+ aluminum side or full console with good freeboard and seating for 4 and a deeper V. I have a welded Harbercraft/Jetcraft and it works well. Used to have a Lund SSV 16 with a tiller and that was fine too, though less beam and freeboard. Aluminum is lighter and easier to tow and likely a less risky buy on the used market than an older glass boat. If you're not going in the ocean, you don't really need the weight and heft of glass if you want save a few bucks. Plus you can sell a good aluminum boat easier than an older glass boat. Starcraft is one to look for, but nearly all are fine - Lund, Alumacraft, Alumaweld, Crestliner, it goes on.

hog88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

14 MO? No, I wouldn't think that would be the boat for you. You might want to look at pontoons, will do everything you want and plenty of fenced in area for your young'un.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a bass boat is a specialty boat and therefore not very versatile for other use, such as general family recreation. Sure there are plenty of families like yours that enjoy them. But there are so many boats of comparable size and cost that are great for fishing and also great for the small family--which could always grow. Just avoid inboard/outboard bowriders.

Also, a 14 month old, now and for the next year or so, is a hard fit in that boat. Better to have something that is open, but with a low deck/high sides. The bass boat with the decks almost flush with the gunwales leaves him very few safe places to hang out or crawl around. Way too easy to tumble over, which, besides the obvious bad from the child's POV, will likely make your wife uncomfortable on the boat.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

IMHO a bass boat is for just that...bass fishing.

It's designed with a singular purpose in mind, and is not a very "family freindly" ride...especially if it gets a little choppy.

I had a "fish-n-ski" (I believe it was a Sylvan)about 15 years ago which was set up well for fishing, and was "deep" enough so the wife and kids felt safe.

dvtran

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For 7k you cant and won't find anything like that /\

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

24 footer is a big boat?????

For 7k you cant and won't find anything like that /\ As DVTRTAN say's........ I think they are missing a 1 in the ad!

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats, Jesse . . .

If you are new to the boating scene, I would recommend a boater safety course. This will also help in your selection of a suitable boat.

That bass boat looks like it is suitable for fishing and drinking beer, but not much else. :D

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Having a 27 ft cabin Searay, these boats are not great for fishing from. Maybe you should try and find something in between the 2 boats you've listed, maybe around a 21 ft bowrider or small cuddy cabin boat.
Mark

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are kidding right? Not only is this a money pit of enormous proportions, it is not meant as a trailering around lake boat.

Thank you all for your feedback. The boat would be mainly for cruising and fishing on the lakes of southern California around la and Santa Barbara. I found this boat on cl:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/2967544539.html

What do you guys think?

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I have to agree canuckjgc that boat really should be slipped. If you had to keep it in the driveway and trailer it every time you wanted to go on the water it would be a pain. Also the "almost restored" comment scares me. It may not be to bad to fish from the back with the canvas top off but not ideally suited for it. That is also a lot of boat for a first timer. I would look for something in between those two boats.

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. Again, I'm new to the boating, so I am learning as I go. I didn't think that boat was that big. So I should be looking for a boat between 16 to 21 ft? I'm not looking to spend more than 7k cash or 13-15k with a loan. Are these prices doable for a starter boat of a fam of 3? Thanks, and please cut down the sarcasm...:D I'm new!

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice

How much hp should be sufficient amongst other details? Is a fish finder a necessity?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

With boats, pretty much every 2' is a significant jump. I went from a 16' to an 18' and the difference in amount of room is amazing. For your first boat, I'd stick to 21' or less. 18' would be pretty ideal. $7k should get you a decent boat. Your two biggest concerns are obsolete powerplants and wood rot. Either of these things can really kill a deal and leave you with a money pit. GM-based Mercruiser or Volvo inboard/outboards are a pretty safe bet as are most outboards with the exception of Chrysler/Force. Check VERY carefully for any soft spots in the deck as they are almost indicative of more serious rot below. You want a solid transom as well.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with ez I have an 18' closed bow and it has a good amount of room so an 18' center console or bow rider would have tons of room. As someone fairly new to boating I would not want anything much bigger right now as it would be a little more boat than I would want to handle. As far as horse power goes that really depends on the boat and what you are going to do with it. Some boats move more efficiently through the water and need less power to get going. Some boats are heavier than others and need more. Also if you are just going to be fishing and strolling around the lake you don't need as much power as if you are planning on doing skiing or tubing some day. All things to seriously think about before making a decision. We aren't trying to be sarcastic, just trying to help you make a good decision on a major purchase so you don't end up with major buyers remorse.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that second boat is way too big for you and your intended use. And either it's in poor condition, or it's a trick.

Look for something in the 16-17' range. Not an I/O. Not a typical bowrider sofaboat. An old 16' starcraft with bow seating, a center console or dual console with bow seating, and most important an outboard. No carpet--nasty. Low maintenance-hose it out, no cover--when you come hoem with a tired wife abnd cranky sunburnt toddler, you want to be able just to park it.

don't worry about the fish finder; it is not a necessity. Worry about that later. As for outboard size, that depends on the hull but if it has a plate, you want at least 70% of its rated capacity.

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found this searay 180 bowrider 1992 18ft on cl:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/boa/2967369877.html

Is it worth 5400, or should i talk him down? engine 4.3 alpha v6 with 165 hp (i think). He thinks the flooring is fiberglass. Tags are up to date 2013.

Bow seating? center console with bow seating? How doe this seating look? Apparently it's a bowrider skiboat.

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice

Its called an inboard outboard. I don't really comprehend that tho...lol