Henrod torch for welding

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice
I have been shopping for a new cutting/welding torch and ran a across the Henrod. Claims are that this makes a true aluminum (and other metals) weld comparable with tig. Anyone have any experience with this, or gas torch welding on aluminum and stainless? This would be for spot repairs and/or fabricating railings etc. This unit is a little pricy but if good results can be achieved then it will be worth it. I have read both pro and con reviews on other forums.

Some may recall my other posts about a local "welder" nearly destroying my toons. I have always been a "do it yourself if you want it done right" type and have welded for 40 years...but never alum. 5150?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Henrod torch for welding

Man, welding aluminum is majorly tricky but is welding just the same adn all the same principals apply, it is maybe a little faster, when I have steel guys come in for a tig test they always go too slow so I tell them to do the same thing 25% faster and it usually helps.

All I have ever welded with is a Miller TIG, never even attempted to gas and would be interested to see if I could do that too.

The one I saw was only 350 which is not bad for welder/cutting torch, find some scrap aluminum and get to it, it really is the only way to learn, maybe find a video or two on You tube about gas welding aluminum to get you started adn get to it, with wleding doing is the only way to learn.

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your input 5150. I did watch some videos and did some reading. Some say this a a great tool, and others say that with the right flux and tig rods you can accomplish the same with a small gas welding tip. I am going to buy it and I'll let you know how I come out. I have lots of scrap and projects I would like to fabricate for my boats. Whyile I am only about 100 miles south of you, I have had 2 realy bad experiences with "welders" for aluminum. After I practice, then I'll try my hand at my near scrap pontoons. :D (the ones with flat stock welded to the rounds with "stacked dimes" seams sticking out 5/8"):eek:They're purdy!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Being able to weld is really really handy, working for a boat company in a fab shop with toins and tons of aluminum, priceless, I have made all kinds of stuff for my boat.

I do all the weld tests at work so I have met quite a few "welders" in my time, good luck and don't get discouraged, if you try long enough you will get it.

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice

I promised an update to my original post. I did buy a Henrob after doing considerable reading and research. I read the pros..and cons. Now that I have one i can elaborate a little.

1st I have to say that after 40 years of stick and a little torch welding I was completely ignorant of the possibities to gas weld aluminum, stainless, cast iron, and chrome moly. My dad was a blacksmith/machinist in a steel mill and started me out long ago. The finest craftsman I ever knew, I think even he would be surprized. A little reading proves that aluminum has been gas welded for far longer that any other method.. 100 years vs 50 or so for modern methods and electronic machinery. Gas welding in the aircraft industry was dominant through the 80s, yet seems to have become a lost art. Reading gave me fair warning that there is a learning curve. Even the experienced call it "tricky at best." True. If you don't have a lot of patience and determination, then I would advise against this totally amazing tool.

IMHO the Dillon- Henrod-Cobra (DHC) torch is a litle pricy at $350 or so for the torch and cutting attachments. However, the patience and determination factor comes into play if you shop around. I found half a dozen "only used once" and "new in box never used" and bought one for 200. It operates with a variety of tips @ 4 PSI OXY and acetylene. This is very critical. At such low pressure standard regulators are wholly inacurate. Lesson one, it has to be set up right- particularly for aluminum. I spent the first day trying various setup methods for getting the right (neutral) flame while blowing holes in thin aluminum. I suspect that this is the reason they are plentiful in like new condition. Otherwise, add $400 for two stage regulators to dial in the correct operating pressures. Add aluminumn welding flux-not brazing- had to be mail ordered. Add $ 60-150- for special eyewear to see the puddle through the orange flux glow. There is a learning curve to applying the correct ammount of flux and proper cleaning.

Welding/cutting steel-No problem. Stainless, harder but with time good results are very realistic. .040 aluminum sheet...man oh man is it "tricky." Beautiful flat welds with full penetration....no cracks.....except when you pause that extra split second and full penetration becomes a gaping hole. Arrrgh. Any alum over .060 needs preheating. Another lesson. Give me a couple of weeks and Ill post some pics.

Cons- The pistol grip and weight of the torch is way heavy and very hard to get used to. I have had my hoses wrapped around my shoulders (not good) and have experimented with holding it different ways. However, this old dog loves to learn new tricks and after 3 days of practice/learning the tool, I am overwhelmingly impressed. I have no illusions that learning this thing won't take considerable time. A do it yourself boat mans dream tool. I welded some thinwall EMT (electrical conduit) just as pretty as could be. Aluminum tube is way harder, but there are so many projects for my pontoon. I have not tried cast..yet..but the number of times that I wished I could weld cast :)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That is the key is pratice, I would really like to try that out just to see if the skill set transfers from electric tig to gas, I don't know if this will transfer but with conventionall tig once you get your puddle there is one speed you travel and drop your rod almost like keeping time with a song, keep your travel speed and timing and you drp a row of dimes.
I also ruin a real shallow angle maybe 20 forward, I find too much and you preheat the metal too much, with the shalow angle you only heat what you are welding.

Li I said all that stuff works with an electric torch, maybe it will transfer to gas.

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice

The technique sounds identical so I suspect that you would quickly be able to gas weld. Developing the rhythm is what will take me the most time and where I'm having trouble. I've found that I need to be straight down or close to 90 degrees to control the puddle, particularly at the end of the weld. Getting the right setup- flame plus the right tip-correct rod- alloy and diameter- and using the flux is where I'm having the most difficulty. This tiny flame cone is amazingly hot and concentrates the heat fast- meaning you have to go very fast and never hesitate or blow a hole. Too much flux on the rods and it will not flow out as I dip into my puddle. I'm off this morning to by a variety of tig rods.

Question: what alloy are most toons and railings made of ? What rod (tig) would you recommend using? While i am attempting to learn on a variety of scrap thicknesses, my toons are .090. (Harris) Eventually, I would like to grind off some ugly 5/8 (still leaking) tall "welds" and overlay a skin in a coule of areas on the toons. My other problem areas are under and inside my brackets. (I intend to take them off the boat so hopefully I can access these areas behind the brackets. Thanks.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

All or most toons are 5356 and we used that rod on them until a few weeks ago, the plant that makes the ingots burned down and it got really scarce and expensive, the problem being that is the only rod that will anodize so we had to really scramble to get enough to run till July when the plant is suppose to come back on line and we use that rod only on the rails, I literally have a ton of rod at work, it is pretty crazy.

My guys go though 500+ lbs a week so we switched to 4356 for the tubes and I would reccomend you use that, it is a bit softer and melts abit quicker but that may even help you out and it wasn't afected by the fire so the price is the same.

Since it seems to transfer another tip I give newbies that really seems to help is running a bead is like playing Pac-Man, if you watch the bead in between drops the weld sort of opens its mouth and you just feed it.

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. As always the the people on these forums are both very generous and knowledgeable. Proper info is priceless and much appreciated. I've been on these forums for a few years now, and some of you guys don't get the respect you deserve.

Simply put, I have been attempting to use the wrong filler. I was sold 1100 rods which really are not suitable for 5xxx and 6xxx alloys according to what I read after your reply. Most of the scrap I have is 6061 and the rest is unknown, but highly unlikely to be compatible with1100. At least that is what a chart that I found says.

I had to order both 5356 and 4043. Couldn't find it on the shelf without driving to Indianapolis- (90 miles)

As far as this tool is concerned, i'm convinced thast you could weld with it in short order. The advantages of tig is a smaller heat affected area and not having to mess with cleaning flux off. The advantage is that this could potentially be used anywhere. I also suspect that in my case welding with a tig torch behind brackets would be near impossible. Not so with a torch. (maybe) I vote that Bennington buys you one of these LOL.