1990 Bayliner Capri with Force 120 - new to me, few questions

sixguns

Cadet
Hi guys, hoping someone can shed some light on this for me... I picked up a 1990 Bayliner yesterday for a smoking deal...lower unit is locked up, but I'll tear into that and see what the issue there is. Carbs leak and need rebuilt, but motor turns over and catches. Whether it runs or not is yet to be seen. Mainly, I'm wondering about the oil system...I'm pretty sure I just bit off a water-born version of my old pinger Suzuki 125, but....there doesn't seem to be an oil injection system whatsoever on this, so I'm guessing this is a remember how much fuel you put in the tank and chase it with 2 stroke oil? Pint to 6 gallons or something close to it for a ratio? Or is there actually a 32/1 type of ratio involved on this? And unfortunately, the model and serial numbers are nonexistent on the base, but from what I gathered, this is a 1990 L drive with the number 120X90A on the powered. What, exactly, does the "L drive" denote? Anything special or just a term they used? Is there's a manual you can download online anywhere or is this basically a crapshoot? Any insight someone could provide would be awesome. And, yes, I searched, couldn't find much of anything helpful. Seems most people with Force outboards already know what they bit off. Thanks, guys.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Bayliner Capri with Force 120 - new to me, few questions

L drive was the bastard child of Brunswick AMF, the manufacturer of Force and Bayliner before Merc bought the line or they bought Merc--whatever.

This is one that you usually run away from but if you don't mind the work and chasing after parts, a good deal might make it worth while.

There is a LOT of negative hype about the L drive. Some--many- were troublesome but others ran forever, and yes, it can be difficult to get certain parts. Even though the block was standard, there were special adapters, gaskets, and stub shafts

The L drive was a 90 or 120 engine mounted vertically inside the boat with an outdrive passing through the transom just like an IO. MOST were standard Force engines for which you mixed oil with fuel in the ratio of 1 pint per 6 gallons.

I am not sure, but there were SOME force engines that actually did have an oil pump but I don't know if they were installed as L drives.

sixguns

Cadet

Ok, so having said that...since mine is just a straight up outboard, it's NOT an L drive? Guess that makes sense...thanks for the explanation on that. Outboard Forces easier to come across than the bastard child?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

VERY lucky it's not a H$ell drive!!!
Do a compression test.
Depending on the shaft size it's a 20" or 25"
They are all over the internet.Shipping can be pricey if the drive shaft is the solid one piece.
I've never seen an oil system on a Force/Chrysler.Would like to see pics???
Absolutly nothing wrong with Forces/Chryslers.
I'd buy another.Parts are readily available.
The powerhead is easy to work on.
The lower needs special tools to fix.J