Ain't boats great

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Over the last 3 days I have been working on my lower unit, I bought the motor used last year and I knew it had several issues when I bought it. But I wont go into all of that. Hopefully the last issue is now fixed. The problem was if you pushed the throttle up to fast it would pop out of and back into gear and to keep that from happing I cranked the friction lock down it stopped it. I ran it like this for awhile knowing I would have to tear into it and see what the issue was. ok its a1996, 9.9 mariner and yea I know its a small motor but I prefer this type of lake.

day 1

Any way after dropping the lower unit down and taking a measurement it was what I thought the shift shaft was 1/4 inch short of where it should of been. and the way the shaft moved it was not engaging the gear fully. This is where the fun started I had to remove several items to free up the top end of the shaft before dropping the unit and of course the water pump tube dropped out I spent around a hour trying to get the tube back in place and no matter what I tried it dropped out so I decided to pull the motor off and turn it up side down so the tube would stay put. and about a hour later it was up side down and when I took a look inside with a trouble light I got a surprise some one in the past had gobbled a bunch or RTV sealer on the socket. I called it a day.

day 2
I spent about 3 hours sitting on a bucket digging it out. As I got it out I discovered the reason why it was done like that the tube socket was mostly filled with carbon and why the tube wouldn't seat and stay in place. Due to what I would call a bad design the tube socket is behind a plate with around a 1 inch off set just enough to stop you from gently twisting it into place and the only way is a straight in push. I put a new grommet seal on the tube and did use a bit of red ATV sealant to hold it in place. And stopped for the day to let that dry over night.

round 3
Remember the lower unit lol while it was off I thought it would be a good time to replace the seals. I had replaced the water pump last fall. When I got that apart I discovered a C ring was missing off of the shift shaft. Great. The C ring is a used as a stop to keep the shift cam in place during assembly. After calls to 4 boat part places none had one so I made a trip to home depot to see if I could find some thing and I found the exact right part to my great surprise. Once back home the LU all most fell together. 30 minutes and together. I put a dab of silicone grease on the water tube grommet and slipped it right in and then started dropping in the LU. and 5 minutes it was in place and bolted up. then Put the motor back on the transom and hooked that all up. I did a barrel water test cause I do not like to use muffs to test a water pump and it passed. In fact it had about twice Imaginew. Imagion that.

Took it back out to the lake today for a test run under a load and it worked exactly like it should, backed off the friction lock and hit it to WOT about 15 times. Rode out to a nice calm spot, lovely 75 degree day, clear blue sky and opened a cold drink put my feet up on the cooler and rembered and why its all worth it. :D :D :D

We really need a snoppy dance smilie

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ain't boats great

Ahhhh yes --- life as it should be! Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my arm in a sling patiently waiting for shoulder surgery to heal.

The Rooster

Ensign

Quite the mechanic there James. Now I know who to call if I get lower unit problems.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Years ago I used to rebuild mining equipment and at that time it was 60 tons of assorted parts lol . Boat stuff isn't all that complicated its just hard to get ever things like its supposed be.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad to hear you got your problem fixed James.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope all works out good for you. and runs great good luck

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Got in a full load test today. Took wife , daughter in law and grand kids out today, ever thing was fine and another mid 80 day, clear skys. Waisted a few gallons of gas and burnt some hotdogs. Allmost had the lake to ourselves.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

B.O.A.T. = Best Of All Times ;)

awesome, James, simply awesome