1975 Evinrude 50hp

I just bought a 1967 starcraft with a 50hp evinrude outboard. We started the motor up and let it run and the one thing i noticed is where does the water come out for the cooling system? There was a stream of water coming out a hole in the back heading straight for the back of the boat. Another thing was the exhaust didnt seem to be coming out the ports on the top only down by the propeller. The motor ran about 15 mins or so and ran good. Thanks for your help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1975 Evinrude 50hp

You have thru-hub exhaust, if you are running it on a hose, most all the water abd exhaust will come out of the center of the prop.
The stream of water coming out towards the back of the boat is what sounds like a tell-tale telling you the water pump is working.

You have thru-hub exhaust, if you are running it on a hose, most all the water abd exhaust will come out of the center of the prop.
The stream of water coming out towards the back of the boat is what sounds like a tell-tale telling you the water pump is working.

So is it just waiting for the thermostat to open before it lets the water to the motor? Will the water pee out the side like newer motors?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

What is your model number, may or may not have a tell-tale unless some one added one.
I assumed by your description that it had a tell-tale.
It should circulate water shortly after start up, coming out of the prop.

What is your model number, may or may not have a tell-tale unless some one added one.
I assumed by your description that it had a tell-tale.
It should circulate water shortly after start up, coming out of the prop.

Im unsure of the model number i will look when i pick it up tomorrow night. Its a 1975 Evinrude 50. It was squirting water out the back like a water pump. Hopefully its nothing major.