1953 15hp Evinrude fuel problem

woodchuck2

Recruit
I have replaced impeller, coils and points/condensers, rebuilt carb and am now ready to start the motor. I have also rebuilt the two line hose tank. When I prime the tank no fuel goes into the bowl or carb. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Thx

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1953 15hp Evinrude fuel problem

First we'll assume you checked to ensure the fuel and air lines are not swapped?

Did the pick up rattle when shook?

Do you have the old or new style pressure tank, ie metal primer button or black plastic?

woodchuck2

Recruit

First we'll assume you checked to ensure the fuel and air lines are not swapped?

Did the pick up rattle when shook?

Do you have the old or new style pressure tank, ie metal primer button or black plastic?

I believe the lines are correct. What do you mean by pickup? The tank is with metal primer button.

Thx

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Pick-up, the pipe and screen that sticks down into the gas. There is a check valve in it that should allow gas to go only one direction through it. There also is another check valve, a little disc showing through one of the holes in the diaphragm, that is easy to lose. Both have to be working, or it won't pump.

woodchuck2

Recruit

Pick-up, the pipe and screen that sticks down into the gas. There is a check valve in it that should allow gas to go only one direction through it. There also is another check valve, a little disc showing through one of the holes in the diaphragm, that is easy to lose. Both have to be working, or it won't pump.

I'll check that out.
Thx for the help!