Repair manual

METLSHPR

Recruit
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I just bought a 1968 stern craft 19' tri hull and got it pretty cheap. ($200) So you can only imagine the work I need to do to it. I would like to buy a repair manual for it but don't know where to even start looking. I've done a few truck rebuilds so I am able to do just about anything with the proper information. If anyone can help I would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repair manual

A repair manual for the boat won't exist. However there should be one available for the engine/drive. Let us know what you've got and we can point you in the right direction.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

repair manual for boats.

hi welcome to iboats. !

as EZ mentioned, there are many engine / drive repair manuals....if you can find one.....they have them here at iboats.

as far as the hull....there is no real repair manual for that specific boat.

however, many many of tri hulls have been totally gutted and restored on the forums here at iboats.
ther are at least 50 threads i can think of in the restoration and boat build section here on the forum.

if its hull work you want to do.....we can and will walk you right thru this little project.

for fun, and a primer on boat building....click the link in my sig !

cheers
and welcome to iboats

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

As already stated, you won't find a repair manual for the boat per se. What is out there that I would highly recommend getting are well written and detailed books about servicing/maintaining.repairing the various systems on a boat, as well as using a boat, other thing boat related. I'm listing 3 that I feel are essential for any boat owner that like to DIY. I own all 3, and find them to be invaluable resources.

If this is your first boat, you'll want the Bible of all things boating - "Chapman Piloting & Seamanship" - current edition is 66th, but you can pick up used 65th or even 64th and not be too far behind. Not much changes IMO.

"Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" is an excellent resource for the basics of the most important systems, but is not enigine specific.

"The 12-Volt Bible for Boats" - truly the Bible of electrical methods, is easy for the layman, and considered the best in electrical.

In addition to those, you should also get a service manual specific to your engine. I like the Seloc manuals, and I bought the book and the online subscription. With the online subscription, it's easier to find what I'm looking for, then I just print out the pages I need and I don't have to worry about getting the book all greasy or damaged.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you, and welcome to iboats!

METLSHPR

Recruit

Thanks to all. I think that I have found a great place to be a member.

As far as the motor is concerned it is a mercruiser straight six and the outboard is also a mercruiser. The hull looks like it is pretty good shape, so far my first hurdle is that the ignition switch needs to be replaced. On the boat's dash board there is a turn key and two wires sticking out in another area of the dash board with what looks like a burnt up ceramic square on it. I'm assuming that this is the starter button. The guy I bought the boat from gave me another switch but this one has a three position movement, so I will need to incorporate two switches into one. In all my truck rebuilds this is a new one for me. I will look into getting that 12v book. Hopefully it can give me some explanation on what wire does what. Or just a pic of a working one if anyone has one.

Thank You and here's to a fun rebuild. :D

bekosh

Lieutenant

I would recommend getting hold of a book called Runabout Renovation: How to Find and Fix Up an Old Fiberglass Speedboat by Jim Anderson. Check your local library, it's out of print and getting pretty pricey to buy. Amazon wants $100 new or $73 used.