Help with volvo 270 leg needed

Hi Everyone
This is my first post on iboats. And this is my first boat ive owned. Ive just done my skippers ticket a few weeks ago and have been and bought my first boat. Its a 21ft Pride Sea Raider. It has the volvo Penta aq170 and volvo 270 leg. The boat was owned by a guy for over 10 years and only went in the water on two occasions. First occasion ended up on a sand bank in the swan river over 7 years ago and second was out of Lancelin which was apparently to rough so the boat was brought back and parked up again in the garage where i believe its spent most of the last 10 years. The engine was given a freshen up 2 years ago and starts on the button. everything seems to work ok but as a mechanic and a total newbie when it comes to boating i thought i would learn as much about the drive setup on this boat. Also dont want to be at sea and find out that somthing isnt working.
I started to check over things and noticed that the engine wouldnt draw water up from the leg with ear muffs attatched. So i put a large plastic bin underneath and filled it with water and got pretty good flow(after bypassing the strainer which was rotted out)ive checked the rubber impellor on raw water pump and it is good. When running at idle only a small amount comes out of the hole in transom and most out of exhaust, give it a few revs and it comes out of the hole in transom very quickly. The temp however on idle does start to rise slowly indicating poor circulation or maybe even a bad thermostat.ive tried putting water pressure back down the leg with vents taped up and i get water leaking from the top steering joint just below the water intake nipple, i reckon the seals are gone. I also have a lot of movement at the bottom steering joint from side to side and up and down.
The tilt and trim works good going up and down very well but if you press down on the leg when up it gos down pretty easy.
My questions are:
Will i need to strip the whole leg to replace seals and bushing?
Can i tighten something on the worm drive for the tilt mechanism to increase resistance?
Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Clint