Replaced trim sender/limit still having Trim gauge problems

parnell

Cadet
Hey all, So I described a minor ramp accident I had in a previous thread and today was the day I made all appropriate repairs. I replaced gimbal bearing, U joint bellow, shift bellow, water hose and oil hose and checked alignment. Everything seems to be good but both my limit and sender switches were bad. Ireplaced them also and its trimming properly but cant get the gauge to work. Any suggestions? Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Replaced trim sender/limit still having Trim gauge problems

Crystal ball broken.... What are you working on? Alpha, Bravo, garden strimmer? And what does 'not working' mean? Does the gauge move when you turn the key on? Does it go to full UP or full DOWN? Have you at least check that you have power and a good ground to the gauge?

For us to help you, you need to help us with a little information (I don't ask a lot, but a little would be a big help).... If you take your car to the mechanic and say 'it's not working', he's not going to be very impressed.

Chris.......

tpenfield

Staff member

When you say trimming properly . . . you mean it stops trimming up at the proper point, so the limit switch is working?

Other than checking the connections for the trim sender, I am out of suggestions, but as Chris said some more info would be helpful.

parnell

Cadet

When you say trimming properly . . . you mean it stops trimming up at the proper point, so the limit switch is working?

Other than checking the connections for the trim sender, I am out of suggestions, but as Chris said some more info would be helpful.

When I saw it trimming properly. It's,stopping at 21 3/4 and my trailer and down is working so its operation is fine. When I turn the key on it the gauge does move but it drop to the down pos and will not work after that. It's a 7.4 mercy bravo 1. Any suggestions?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Unplug the gauge sender wires at the back of the engine. Turn the Key ON. The gauge should move to the full UP position. If it does, the problem is the sender not set up correctly (dubs). If it still goes all the way down, you have a short to ground in the sender wire or a faulty gauge....

Chris.......

parnell

Cadet

Unplug the gauge sender wires at the back of the engine. Turn the Key ON. The gauge should move to the full UP position. If it does, the problem is the sender not set up correctly (dubs). If it still goes all the way down, you have a short to ground in the sender wire or a faulty gauge....

Chris.......

Ok I will try that.. thanks for the advice