Some People Update!

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
I just received a letter today from the Office Of Consumer Protection. It seems that offering to paint the siding was the wrong thing to do! They claim that I have committed a criminal act in doing so, and are now subject to 6 months in prison
and a $1000.00 fine. They say that I solicited to paint without a license. Now ain't that a *****! I only offered to fix an issue and cover my expenses. :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Some People Update!

What d++che bags! Offering to paint is not saying that you have or do not have the required license or are not planning on obtain same before the onset of work. Now doing the work without being licensed is a different story. Unbelievable!

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

I have to reword this because my post got deleted before I even posted it- I've got to find a good political forum.
It seems that it is a criminal offense to even talk about painting without a license in MD, even if it is for free.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

That should be the end of the discussion, retain a lawyer, inform these idiots of said lawyer and move on with your life, I would also have your lawyer notify them of the likely counter suit.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Office of Consumer Protection? Is that a county office?

tpenfield

Staff member

I just received a letter today from the Office Of Consumer Protection. It seems that offering to paint the siding was the wrong thing to do! They claim that I have committed a criminal act in doing so, and are now subject to 6 months in prison
and a $1000.00 fine. They say that I solicited to paint without a license. Now ain't that a *****! I only offered to fix an issue and cover my expenses. :facepalm:

So, does that mean there is a requirement to be a registered Home Improvement Contractor to do that sort of work, and you are not registered?

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, does that mean there is a requirement to be a registered Home Improvement Contractor to do that sort of work, and you are not registered?

Yes. In MD, all contractors(that enter into contracts) are required to licensed by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission.

Philster

Captain

MD has a long and infamous hostile relationship with those in the home improvement industry. It's epic. It's unlike anywhere else in the country.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is my response to the painting issue. You offered to paint the house but you intended to hire a painter to do the work at your expense.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry man, this just sucks.

time to hire a lawyer and this thread and the other need to disappear.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

That should be the end of the discussion, retain a lawyer, inform these idiots of said lawyer and move on with your life, I would also have your lawyer notify them of the likely counter suit.
I think a lawyer would do more monetary damage to me than the courts could by law - maximum fine 1k - 6, months in the can. I don't think she can win and she might be digging a hole - explanation below.

Office of Consumer Protection? Is that a county office?
Yes it is a county agency.

No! You do not have to have a license to power wash!

Yes. In MD, all contractors(that enter into contracts) are required to licensed by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission.
Not to powerwash! This was confirmed in letter below.

MD has a long and infamous hostile relationship with those in the home improvement industry. It's epic. It's unlike anywhere else in the country.
I am learning this to be true!

One business guy to another, what a mess. I know you may not like hearing it but you are in a pickle and I'd suggest seeing an attorney ASAP. You said you don't have a business or contractor?s license so I am assuming you are working as a DBA (Doing Business As) which means there is no separation between your work/business finances and your personal finances as there would be with an LLC or S-Corp. To be blunt, everything you own is on the line at this point and you can NOT take it lightly or not get a GOOD lawyer at this point. This situation is a ticking time bomb and you have no idea how the agencies are going to handle it. They could just as easily say the siding was damaged so bad it has to be replaced or say its the cheapest / fastest real fix. I would also assume there will be money as compensation for the disruption / time / hassle to the home owner.

Right now, from all I can see of Maryland law you are between the proverbial rock and hard place. You haven't taken the required exams, proven the two years required apprenticeship, do not have a contractors or a contractors sales license and haven't put up the required surety bond. I'm not picking on you but you are the guy the state has a big issue with and god help you if they decide to make an example of you because I don't think you have a legal leg to stand on and it won't matter if you or the owner is right or wrong.

As I said, find a GOOD attorney and ask him how you dig your way out of this and listen to the advice he / she gives you. I think you have to be prepared for the fact it?s not going to be cheap.

I'm wishing you the best of luck and hope you can get it resolved quickly.
First let me say that I really appreaciate everyones concern - it really helps having advocates - thank you from the bottom of my heart!
I do not solicit work without a license: As I have explained, when I need a license I put it through friends buisnesses, and peice work the parts I want to do but get paid hourly by said companies.
Letter from agency: Thank you for your letter setting fourth your position with respect to the above case in which you claim that the consumer has criminal intent to extort $1,625.00 from you. As you must know it is a criminal offence to engage in the home improvement contracting buisness in the State of Maryland or to solicit such business, without a license issued by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission ( HMIC ) While powerwashing is not considered to be a home improvement for this purpose, engaging in or soliciting painting services is a home improvement.
Thus when you offered to paint said house you were engaged in a criminal act of soliciting a home improvement contract which you are not licensed to perform. You have ten days to provide me with a noterized signed statement that you agree not to solicit or perform any further home improvements in Montgomery County without being licensed. Failure to provide that statement may result in charges against you. BR 8 - 601 MISDEMEANOR $1,000.00 - 6 MONTHS
My drafted response not yet sent : I did not solicit to paint said house for profit as you have accused. This was proven through documentation that you have received. My offer was predicated by her demand that I fix damage on her siding she alledged I created by powerwashing.
I felt sorry for her dilemma until I realized that she was fully aware that the damage was existing - caused in fact by an egging! My offer was withdrawn before you ever got involved - as soon as I was made aware of her criminal intent.
If you choose to pursue charges against me, I will at the appropriate time produce estimates to paint her house using Benjamin Moore ext. Aura. They will contrast the minute amount I quoted, proving that I was seeking no profit! I would have of course utilized a licensed contractor to perform the contractual part- I would have done the work at a cost of $250.00 to complainer.
I welcome the judicial venue to exonerate myself from this prevarication - to gather evidence from those proceedings to consolidate my position that I have been targeted criminally.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

...You have ten days to provide me with a noterized signed statement that you agree not to solicit or perform any further home improvements in Montgomery County without being licensed. Failure to provide that statement may result in charges against you. BR 8 - 601 MISDEMEANOR $1,000.00 - 6 MONTHS...

Sounds to me like all they want is a notarized statement that you promise in the future not to offer painting services without a license.

BTW, what is the deal with this, anyway? Why is MD so hostile on this? I have a feeling I know, but it would "border" on political...

nlain

Commander

I would also put that statement they want in with your response, you never know what those people will do. CYA.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think a lawyer would do more monetary damage to me than the courts could by law - maximum fine 1k - 6, months in the can. I don't think she can win and she might be digging a hole - explanation below.

Yes it is a county agency.

No! You do not have to have a license to power wash!

Not to powerwash! This was confirmed in letter below.

I am learning this to be true!

First let me say that I really appreaciate everyones concern - it really helps having advocates - thank you from the bottom of my heart!
I do not solicit work without a license: As I have explained, when I need a license I put it through friends buisnesses, and peice work the parts I want to do but get paid hourly by said companies.
Letter from agency: Thank you for your letter setting fourth your position with respect to the above case in which you claim that the consumer has criminal intent to extort $1,625.00 from you. As you must know it is a criminal offence to engage in the home improvement contracting buisness in the State of Maryland or to solicit such business, without a license issued by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission ( HMIC ) While powerwashing is not considered to be a home improvement for this purpose, engaging in or soliciting painting services is a home improvement.
Thus when you offered to paint said house you were engaged in a criminal act of soliciting a home improvement contract which you are not licensed to perform. You have ten days to provide me with a noterized signed statement that you agree not to solicit or perform any further home improvements in Montgomery County without being licensed. Failure to provide that statement may result in charges against you. BR 8 - 601 MISDEMEANOR $1,000.00 - 6 MONTHS
My drafted response not yet sent : I did not solicit to paint said house for profit as you have accused. This was proven through documentation that you have received. My offer was predicated by her demand that I fix damage on her siding she alledged I created by powerwashing.
I felt sorry for her dilemma until I realized that she was fully aware that the damage was existing - caused in fact by an egging! My offer was withdrawn before you ever got involved - as soon as I was made aware of her criminal intent.
If you choose to pursue charges against me, I will at the appropriate time produce estimates to paint her house using Benjamin Moore ext. Aura. They will contrast the minute amount I quoted, proving that I was seeking no profit! I would have of course utilized a licensed contractor to perform the contractual part- I would have done the work at a cost of $250.00 to complainer.
I welcome the judicial venue to exonerate myself from this prevarication - to gather evidence from those proceedings to consolidate my position that I have been targeted criminally.

Don't send this. Last thing you want to do is get involved in a battle of semantics with some Gov agency. Just do as they say and provide the statement saying you won't solicit paint work.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Socey, what a mess. I feel for you man. Hopefully you get this resolved without costing you a ton of money. Good luck!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Don't send this. Last thing you want to do is get involved in a battle of semantics with some Gov agency. Just do as they say and provide the statement saying you won't solicit paint work.

Agreed. You're in danger of escalating the situation, which is the last thing you want to do. All they're doing is warning you and asking for your word that you won't violate the regulation. It's silly, but what can you do? Sometimes you just have to dance to their tune. It sucks, but a little bit of pride is a lot easier to swallow than what that pinhead could do to you if you provoked him. It probably would be a good idea to provide a lucid but nonconfrontational explanation of the entire situtation and ask him to put it in the file as well.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Sounds to me like all they want is a notarized statement that you promise in the future not to offer painting services without a license.

I agree too. It's quick, it's easy and it's over with........

tpenfield

Staff member

I agree too. It's quick, it's easy and it's over with........

Ditto on the notarized note. . . otherwise, remember to touch base with us once you get out of jail. . . . (or the poor house)