Mercury Optimax 150 alarm issue...

whmoore18

Seaman
This has probably been discussed but I couldn't find it. I have a 2011 Mercury Optimax 150 motor and sometimes at low RPMs 1500-3000rpms I'll get a water pressure alarm...Now this motor has less than 10 hours on it brand new just got the boat in the water. The pressure at idle is generally 1-3 psi...When im 1500-2100rpms I'll get 4-6 psi...When I get to the 3800-4200rpm range I tend to get 6-8 psi....I cranked it to 4700-4900 for a brief moment just to see water pressure and it climbed up to 10-13 psi I wasn't at WOT so I couldn't tell you what the pressure is. The alarm doesn't happen all the time its very intermittent sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes I'll get it after a few minutes then won't get it for a few hours. I made a 13 mile run and didn't get one alarm. The water pressure indicator on the motor puts out a stream like no other showing she has pressure. After the 13 mile run the indicator was pumping like a race horse....So what do you guys think is the deal here?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Optimax 150 alarm issue...

Pick one of the following as I have seen them all on the Optimax:
1) defective/intermittent t-stat
2) trash under poppet valve
3) defective water pressure sender
4) gasket blown out under water pump cover