90' Force 50hp- 1/2 speed @ wot

dontknowjack

Recruit
My force 50 seems to run at half speed or slower while at wide open throttle, also, don't know if related but, when I use ears and start at home prior to going in water it fires right up, but, when I put in water it cranks and cranks and takes 5-10 minutes before starting. Any ideas?

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 90' Force 50hp- 1/2 speed @ wot

Seems unusual that it would start easier on muffs. Post a bit more history- engine year model, owned it for so long, ran fine last summer, heard a bang and it didn't run as well? Sat idle for 3 years before I started it up?

Mostly, you start with a compression test, and post the results. Your problem could be anything from compression to spark to fuel. If you have good compression, then check the spark. if you have good spark, then it's the fuel. usually the fuel pump can wear, and you can re-build yourself for a pittance. You can also have clogged fuel lines? Do you have a water/fuel seperator? Do you have an inline fuel filter?

i am asking more questions than giving you answers, but as they say, questions are the answer.

Post results and we'll go from there.

Cheers

BTW- Welcome to the forum. The best forum on planet Earth.

dontknowjack

Recruit

Thanx for the help. I bought it from a relative recently, ran great the first few times I took it out. It has a 5 gallon tank(plastic type), it seems to run fine except for the speed. I put high dollar gas in it when I run it (92 octane) mix the gas 50:1. I pulled off the engine cover and put on full throttle (with engine off) and the carb seems to open fully. It doesnt seem to miss or chug at all, it really runs smooth, just slow.

I can and will run compression test, check/replace plugs and post findings. Do you think the hard starting when submerged is related or?? That one boggles me, starts right up in my driveway, crank,crank,crank in the water.

I will check what you have listed and get back asap.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

The fuel, you don't need to run mega octane fuel, ask Frank. he put me straight. I run 91 octane ULP ( NO ethanol), save your coin. it won't make a difference. So far as starting better on muffs- I really dont know. I have not heard of that before- que Jerry and Frank on this one......(starting).....Also, what size boat and what pitch prop. if the engine is running 100%, but the boat is full of people/fuel/rods etc, and has the wrong prop, then it will affect the perfomance as well......

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

PS- do you have a tacho?