OMC Cobra Dog Clutch shift cable adjustment/other

jigeye

Cadet
I have a 88 Four Winns Deck Boat with a 302 carb Ford/OMC outdrive. I am having the outdrive rebuilt by All American Drive Service. I need information on all the things that need to be checked before the unit goes on the boat. I've heard of shift cables, transom brackets, etc. I am going to have the maintenance place do it, but the owner of All American says I need to find a OMC Master Mechanic. I need all the docs to give to the maintenance folks and would like to know more about it myself. Looking for advice. I have the hastings internet guide but looking for experienced mechanics in this regard.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Cobra Dog Clutch shift cable adjustment/other

I had my Cobra drive rebuilt by All American Drive two years ago. They did a great job and provided excellent after-sale support. I've put about 70 hours on the drive since then and everything is great.

I used the OMC service manual and the Hastings guide combined to remount and adjust my drive, including replacement of the transom shift cable. It can be done "at home" without special tools, but if you're not confident in your ability you may not want to risk your freshly rebuilt drive.

If you add your location to your profile or post it someone may be able to recommend a mechanic in your area who is willing and able to work on OMC drives. Be sure to get multiple references; the reason my drive had to be rebuilt was a mechanic who claimed he knew how to service OMC but clearly didn't.