question about muffs on 90 force motor

P10 WRC

Cadet
Hello,

This is my first boat and first outboard so sorry for the ingnorance. When i put the muffs on and turned on the water, there was no water coming out of the pee holes, even after i start the motor. i don't want to damage anything. Should the water flow freely?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: question about muffs on 90 force motor

Water will not flow through the motor until you start it up. Sometimes it's hard to get the muffs lined up exactly over the water intake slots. Make sure the water outlet on the inside of the muffs is located directly over the water intake slots. Also, sometimes there just isn't enough water pressure or flow to feed the engine. If you have a trash barrel big enough or something similar that you can drop the lower end in, that may be a better choice.

P10 WRC

Cadet

thanks for the quick reply. Would you happen to know how often i am supposed to do oil changes on the upper and lower units?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Only have to change the gear oil in the lower unit. Not sure how often the manual says, but I do it once a year. Be very careful not to unscrew the shift pivot pin. It looks very similar to a drain plug. If you do, There's a good chance you have to take the lower unit apart to get it back in.