Home loan question - 20% down or FHA????

ezbtr

Commander
If I do 20% down, that leaves me 5 weeks pay in bank, if I do FHA, will have 9 mos pay in bank. Job is good, been there 5 yrs, no layoffs in sight, I always get 2 mos pay back in tax returns and save 200-500 bucks a month, sometimes more.
20% down would be about $100 - $200 cheaper than Ive been paying in rent, FHA would be about $600 a month more than my current rent - doable but not desired! Any hints?? Oh, this is a 30 yr fixed on 20% down, I'd refi asap.
Thanks guys!

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Home loan question - 20% down or FHA????

20% down. No doubt about it. What are the rates? What about a bi-weekly payment? Lots of different options for payment, but the sooner you pay it down the less interest you pay. Probably a 20 year loan would be about the same payment as you are paying in rent now and a WHOLE lot less interest payments than the 30 year mortgage.

Enjoy the process!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

20% down. No PMI and improved cash flow for you plus quicker equity growth. Also, you didn't ask, but a tax refund that large means you need to adjust your witholding if you can. I know in some cases (unpredictable income, etc.) that's difficult. Congratulations by the way. Happy for you.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We refinanced the house last year to get away from FHA. Dealing with the FHA loan was a pain. I'm am not an expert and no next to nothing about financial dealings, but if it were me, I would not go with the FHA loan. I'd would want to keep my monthly expenses lower instead of taking on the extra $600 a month in payments. Others that know more may have different/better advice and you may want to speak to a financial planner or if you have someone handling your financial investments, you may want to consult with them. Good luck!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Umm what happened to 4% down..and 3.75...I believe you need another broker..Many are used to the old days of rape and pilage

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Why would you refi asap ??

Get the right loan now.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Umm what happened to 4% down..and 3.75...I believe you need another broker..Many are used to the old days of rape and pilage

This is the way I went roughly a year ago. It seems to work out for me. I got some of my PMI back in the form of a tax refund. I also nailed an 8,000 tax credit which I most-likely will not put towards my home but rather invest in Roth and 401k. I have 30 years to pay that home off.

The appropriate question is two parts:
1. Do you plan on living there longer than say 7-10 years?
2. How confident are you your financial situation will go in a positive direction?
3. Also, how old are you? If you're older I would put 20% down.

If you are going to be there a while and pretty confident your income is holding up with cost of living increases I would skip the 20% down and do FHA.

I will tell you this, there will be surprise costs associated with buying a new home. I chose to go FHA, took my unused downpayment money and literally dumped it right back into the home. 20k or so. New Roof, new fence for the dog, new garage door and opener, all new paint and other minor odds n ends like blinds and cabinet hardware and light switch plates and cold air return vents etc.

My neighbors purchased there home 1month after me and they appear to be "house-poor". I say this because the kid was using a hand-push lawn mower last year, he didnt have the proper shoveling equipment for this winter, and they just seem to be a little behind in getting the painting done. Also they never leave there house, but as I mentioned it could be there choice.

Be sure to seperate your emotions in the sense of what you THINK the house should sell for vs what the actual VALUE of the home is.

Also, find a good mortgage broker, actually find 2 and play them against each other. I found the weak link that way and stuck with the Winner. To me it was important that my broker was experienced, and not just stating they were experienced. This was all sorted out when I pruposed similar questions to 2 different brokers.

Good Luck my friend!

ezbtr

Commander

Thanks for the input guys - I am getting a second lender involved as well, should get all info from all on loan types today :)

ezbtr

Commander

I'm 47, I'd want to pay it off in 15 yrs or less, stay at least 5 yrs or indefinitely - is a great area.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Fha, I locked last week at 3.75. My money can be earning more money than that elsewhere, you didn't say if you had the money now or still had to save.

ezbtr

Commander

Fha, I locked last week at 3.75. My money can be earning more money than that elsewhere, you didn't say if you had the money now or still had to save.

I have the money now

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I see thing slightly differently, as I am in business, and see the home loan as an anchor, and the value of your home a completely irrelevant issue.
I believe the best investment anyone will ever make is freeholding the home they live in as quickly as possible, so if that works by putting 20% down, then that is my suggestion.

(I don't know what FHA is, but no matter)

Cheers
Phillip

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

That Phil is sound advice....But housing over here is a mess to say the least. It is more than possible that he could be putting a large chunk of change down on a depreciatiang asset...Things are hush hush now but repos are way up and i mean up. Let the market settle and it will be years before it does.

ezbtr

Commander

and there's the HOA issue w/ condos and townhouses, $225-400 a month extra, course you usually get a pool area, clubhouse, free water, and landscaping maint.

ezbtr

Commander

I see thing slightly differently, as I am in business, and see the home loan as an anchor, and the value of your home a completely irrelevant issue.
I believe the best investment anyone will ever make is freeholding the home they live in as quickly as possible, so if that works by putting 20% down, then that is my suggestion.

(I don't know what FHA is, but no matter)

Cheers
Phillip

freeholding?? here in contra costa county, sooooo many foreclosures empty houses and banks arent even close to reselling them - some 50% cheaper than in 2005-2008! But it can take 6 mos to actually get approval until move in date!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

20% down would be about $100 - $200 cheaper than Ive been paying in rent, FHA would be about $600 a month more than my current rent - doable but not desired! Any hints?? Oh, this is a 30 yr fixed on 20% down, I'd refi asap.
Thanks guys!

Something is not right here. A 4% mortgage comes out to roughly $5 per $1,000 barrowed. At that rate, you would be financing $160K more FHA than conventional to come up with your $800 a month difference in payment.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Something is not right here. A 4% mortgage comes out to roughly $5 per $1,000 barrowed. At that rate, you would be financing $160K more FHA than conventional to come up with your $800 a month difference in payment.

thought the same, the MIP on a 160k house should be but about 100 a month. But I don't know what range you're looking in.
Also, new or used? Don't forget all the costs associated with buying new.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

freeholding?? here in contra costa county, sooooo many foreclosures empty houses and banks arent even close to reselling them - some 50% cheaper than in 2005-2008! But it can take 6 mos to actually get approval until move in date!!

not here, market here in CO has picked up quite a bit.

halfmoa

Ensign

If I had 20K when we closed on our house I'd have put down 20% no questions asked but I've never been within 25% of having that in the bank...