rustoleum primer on bare aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
what is the product you guys would suggest for priming with rustoleum on a bare aluminum hull, when i plan to top coat with rustoleum professional brand enamel?

I see there are SEVERAL primers some are obvious the wrong choice ..

they have marine paints but the primers all are for ABOVE THE WATER LINE!!
they have Automotive primers-fillers
they have some that come in spray cans only...

I want to buy quarts or maybe a gallon...

a guy here used the gray primer mixed with flat black to get a dark gray flat paint job...which is what i want...

but he just said rustoleum.....

he wasnt specific. plus he painted over the original paint surface....

I have bought a few cans of the SPRAY primer for aluminum...it could be used for the bond to the metal and my top coat of flat..

I know not to use the latex primer for aluminum!!!

other wise they dont list a primer for aluminum in enamel that is sold in gallons or quarts that come in gray!!!

I will use a spray gun to apply this paint.. I am thinking if i need to I could use the spray cans to cover one coat of the bare hull....and hope it can be top coated by the top coat i choose( the label says nothing of top coating over that spray primer for aluminum, nor the prep for top coating or a time frame!!!!!!!

you want to get this right,....it has been soooo much work removing all the old paint and getting a clean bare hull...id hate to waste all that time and money with stuff that wont stick...

and i only want a flat dark gray paint job.....

thanks

bob

kfa4303

Banned
Re: rustoleum primer on bare aluminum

Hi Bob. You want to use Zinc-Chromate Self-etching primer on any and all bare aluminum surfaces. You only need a dusting and several light coats are better than one thick one. After the primer cures according to directions, you can paint it anyway you like. There are marine paints, but they can be a little pricey. Lots of folks have achieved great results using rattle can paint like Rustoleum Professional Aluminum paint. Others prefer to roll the paint on, or spray it like a car. Like any paint job, it all comes down to the prep. Do a search here in the restoration forums on paint jobs and you'll some amazing results that the folks here have managed to achieve.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Hi Bob. You want to use Zinc-Chromate Self-etching primer on any and all bare aluminum surfaces. You only need a dusting and several light coats are better than one thick one. After the primer cures according to directions, you can paint it anyway you like. There are marine paints, but they can be a little pricey. Lots of folks have achieved great results using rattle can paint like Rustoleum Professional Aluminum paint. Others prefer to roll the paint on, or spray it like a car. Like any paint job, it all comes down to the prep. Do a search here in the restoration forums on paint jobs and you'll some amazing results that the folks here have managed to achieve.

well i got the rattle can Aluminum metal Primer....but it doesnt say it is zinc chromate anywhere on the can..and it doesnt say self etching

if i was to walk into a lowes or home depot you think they would have a zinc chromate self etching primer??? they all scratched their heads when i asked..

maybe ill just go to the auto parts store and ask, they are usually a little more knowlegable....

it all comes down to little itty bitty descriptions of specifically waht the product is...like the one guy that went and bought aluminum primer for bare metal....only to find out it was latex....ahh the details that ruin our plans.....id hate to buy a primer that wont accept a top coat...

thanks

bob

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Bob,

The last link in my signature has a lot of info on painting your aluminum boat with Rustoleum or Valspar paint. You might want to give it a look See!!! If you want the Rustoleum Self Etching Primer, a lot of Wal-Marts sell it in their Sporting Goods Boating sections. Ace Hardware usually carries it to. Not sure if you can buy it by the quart. I like the SEM product and you can buy it in quarts and gallons.

4829776.jpg

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

nice...id like to spray both the primer and my top coat with my spray guns....

that SEM primer , is a valspar product? ill look it up, but if you remember ...do they have flats???? or flat additives??

thanks

bob

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You mean for the Color coat to knock the Gloss??

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

yes the top coat i want to be FLAT.....most paints are easily had in black or white in flat...but not in colors...Ill want gray

bob

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I am not aware of a "Flat" Acrylic enamel Oil Based Valspar paint. I would surmise that Sanding with 1000 grit after a couple of weeks cure would knock off some of the gloss and I am aware of some Gloss enamel "De-Glosser" products but have never used them.

kfa4303

Banned

auoto parts stores will also often carry ZC Self-etching primer in the spray paint section. I'm sure they make flat aerosol paints, but I'm not sure about Valspar roll on per se. Shoot 'em and email. They may be able to direct you to a source for flat finish, or you can just sand it per Wood's suggestion.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

well i am not going to sand this boat afterwards to kill a glossy shine when i could have just used another product when I painted..

this falls into my quality of life statement... i always tell my GF...you weigh the work VS the cost....

and it is worth my while to spend a day fishing instead of sanding my boat...all at the expense of maybe another $30 worth of paint materials, when i did the paint in the first place.....of course if the cost of the materials is another $300, then i am sanding.....

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Bob,

The last link in my signature has a lot of info on painting your aluminum boat with Rustoleum or Valspar paint. You might want to give it a look See!!! If you want the Rustoleum Self Etching Primer, a lot of Wal-Marts sell it in their Sporting Goods Boating sections. Ace Hardware usually carries it to. Not sure if you can buy it by the quart. I like the SEM product and you can buy it in quarts and gallons.

4829776.jpg

I book marked that page...and will definaely go back to it...but I see that SEM self etching primer with the number 39864

so i searched that..not knowing the brand9 thought it might be a product of Valspar..

this is what came back...very confusing they have two different products with the same part number!!!!!

http://www.azautobodysupply.com/sem39pladprq.html

bob

F-16 Falcon

Cadet

I'd also recommend a Zinc Chromate for aluminum if budget allows. You can buy it on-line anywhere from 7-10 bucks a can plus shipping. You can also find it at local airports that are bigh enough to have an aircraft parts store. Zinc Chomate is used heavily in the aviation industry as the primer for aluminum aircraft prior to paint.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For your Reading enjoyment...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=457159

"Number one. Aluminum will not take paint. Not bare aluminum, not etched aluminum? Surprised at “etched aluminum”? You see a lot of primers that say, “self etching”. Well etching is the process of using acids or bases to remove aluminum oxide and other contaminants. Where do the contaminants and oxides go in a “self etching” paint? That is correct, they are contained in the paint job. How long and how durable is a paint job with “self etching” paint after all those contaminants are contained therein?

Number two. Alodine will adhere tenaciously to aluminum and paint tenaciously to alodine. So alodine is our “negotiator” to paint aluminum. It provides the intermediary between paint and aluminum.

Surface prep. A lot of options here. If you want, you can get some “aircraft stripper” available at most automotive paint stores or Aircraft Spruce. The main difference here is the amount of ammonia in the stripper. Get the hull as best you can down to bare metal. DO NOT USE STEEL BRUSHES, STEEL WOOL, STAINLESS STELL BRUSHES, etc anywhere, any time. Always use aluminum oxide sandpaper and if you want a “brush” use Scotchbrite pad.

Etching. I use AlumnaPrep 33 available at Aircraft Spruce. You dilute it 1 part to 3 parts water. A gallon bottle is more than enough for your hull. Follow the instructions on the bottle. USE RUBBER GLOVES. Brush the solution on generously. If you see a spot repel the solution it may have grease on it. Degrease it with acetone or MEK and put on more Alumnaprep. Leave the Alumanprep on at least 3 minutes then flush with fresh water. Use a hose. Flush like crazy. Your hull should have a dull but bright look to it after etching. Allow the hull to air dry.

Alodine. Again available at Aircraft Spruce. Do not dilute. A gallon will do your hull. Brush it on your dried, etched hull. Again, if you have areas that are aluminum that repels the alodine, you go to de-grease. Clean and re-etch. Then alodine. Do not flush the alodine, allow it to air dry on the hull. Your hull should have a nice “golden” tint to the bare metal.

Paint. Here is where you have some choices. I personally prefer two part epoxy polyurethanes. They are extremely durable, flexible (hard paints crack), and give an easy and very shiny finish that remains that way. The only negative is, any corrosion occurring beneath the paint surface will not be visible. The paint may bubble, but the coating will remain intact. Make sure you have sanded and etched away all previous corrosion before painting. I use Southern Polyurethanes. The other negative to polyurethane is you want a very good respirator and face shield when you paint. You can get one a Home Depot. Do not get the disposable kind. Get a 3M 4000 or 5000. Do not allow this stuff to get in your lungs. It does not come out, ever. Make sure your mask seals tightly around your face. If you have a beard, shave it.

Priming. I use Southern Polyurethanes Epoxy Primer. Follow the instructions for mixing the hardener with the paint, (It is one to one). I mix two cups at a time. It yields about one coat for a 16 ft hull. First spray a flash coat, and then come back with a wet coat. After this when the wet coat is highly tacky and not subject to running, come back again with a full second coat. If you feel rich and want to burn some paint put on a third.

Zinc-Chromate Primer. A lot of people swear by this stuff. It is very good coating on etched aluminum, but not under water! It contains zinc! Think about that for a moment?

Color Coat. Again just like the primer, activate it one to one. Spray a flash coat then a wet coat. I do two applications. You’ll like this step because you’ll be amazed at how bright and shiny your hull is.

Clear Coat. You can (optional) clear coat your hull with Southern Polyurethanes Clear 4000 series. Do it just like the color coat. You can buff it if you want. "

triskele

Recruit
This is an excellent post! However, I am a bit confused about the order of the steps. In the post, it says apply Alodine, then paint. After paint you list priming, zn-chromate priming, color coat, then clear coat. Can you please clarify these steps? I assume you mean after the alodine step to prime, color coat and clear coat (all combined being parts of the paint step following the metal prep). Am I correct in this assumption? Can you help clear this up for me?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
90daysold.PNG

Please start a new thread with your questions.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.