1985 150hp fouling plugs after one use

atlapp

Seaman
compression in good....carbs have been rebuilt...have lync and synced...theromstats seem to be working properly....problem is after one use on water, plugs must be changed, all are fouled, runs like a champ with new plugs, but only for one day....running out of ideas here, hoping some of you experts cand shed some light on this problem....could it be power pack or stator...plugs are black and oily upon removal, all are about equal....fuel pump is new....i do not own a dva tester, would this be next step....i seem to have good fire, but have not used a spark tester yet....thanks in advance for any help you can send my way!

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 150hp fouling plugs after one use

Oil injection, automatic or manual pre mix, how the outboard running smoking alot?

j_martin

Admiral

Tower?, V6?.

Lotsa help here, but we don't have crystal balls.

A guess, though. Automatic oiling, variable ratio. The linkage to the oil pump from the throttle is broken or out of adjustment.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tower?, V6?.

Lotsa help here, but we don't have crystal balls.

A guess, though. Automatic oiling, variable ratio. The linkage to the oil pump from the throttle is broken or out of adjustment.

Good call was thinking that it needs to be measured, probably adjusted back a click

atlapp

Seaman

manually mix 50:1....and yes I think it smokes too much...it is v6

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a bad fuel pump, although you claimed a new one was installed. I would check the pulse line to the fuel pump for raw fuel.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Dont worry about looking for one as it dont have one, your pump mounts directly to intake manifold. What plugs are you using and check the recirculating valves to see if stopped up. If the plugs are fouling at idling or below 2000rpm test the recirc valves. These are the check valves on front of intake that the small hoses attach to. Remove the hose with a pair of long reach needle nose and check while idling,it should be a very fine mist out of it, if it just dribbles or globs out ,replace the valve.

atlapp

Seaman

I will try the check values...makes more sense than anything else i have heard!

atlapp

Seaman

Ok i have checked recir valves and they are all working properly...I did notice that none of carbs have back draft vent jets installed, could this be the problem? there are two threaded holes there and sketches that i can find on this carb indicate that some sort of back draft vent jet should be in one of those holes....can anyone confirm this....thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Backdraft jets missing wont hurt anything, what you primary ignition timing?

atlapp

Seaman

should mention have excellent spark.....clearly having a fuel issue at low rpms that is fouling plugs...thinking that lack of backdraft jets may be causing this....any ideas?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Oil control linkage reinstalled backwards?

Wrong spark plugs?

What motor, what plugs?

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

Im having the same issue, on a 1984 Mariner 150 V6 with NGK plugs and 50:1 premix. fouling 1/3/5 on starboard side, timeing @18? cold cranking.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had an issue with this on a tower I found a gas station that had 100% gas and rebuilt carbs new fuel pump and hoses runs fine now. So you might try getting ethanol free gas.