Buying a boat advice

ul

Recruit
Hello folks,

Let me try to be as short as I can! I want to buy a boat for marina,and maybe ocean, along the shore of course (if weather permits) and maybe for nearby lakes.
My criteria:
I want to keep it in my garage (from back to the garage door = 20 ft).
I have $15,000 budget and considering a used boat. I have a family of two, but expect my son with his wife will pay a visit to us more often (!).
So, thinking about a bowrider with high freeboard, but no longer than 18 ft (to be able to fit into my garage).

I live near marina, (Oxnard, CA) and have 12.5 ft inflatable I used about 5-6 times in marina and a little ocean trip (no too far of course). So, selling it now and want to have a slightly bigger and more "wife/guests" friendly with back support and more room to enjoy our time on the water. Not really for fishing.
Any idea, advice or suggestion what it might be?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying a boat advice

hi....welcome to iboats !

with that budget you will find a quite new boat.

there are newer folding tounge trailers that will help with storing the boat in your garage.

a real good starter boat is a bayliner....around 2005 or better.
but if you are ocean going.....you will need a larger style boat.....and that conflicts with garage storage.

so at 19 feet....you are basicly looking at a lake boat.

tpenfield

Staff member

My thoughts . . .

Budget is good

20 foot garage may not be big enough, even with swing away tongue

18 foot boat is a bit small for oceans and bays, but fine for a lake. Not going to be too much freeboard with an 18 footer.

I would look at boats in that range (lots of them) and see what you like.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the others that an 18' might be a bit small for open waters. For $15000 you should be able to get a really nice used boat. Just be careful not to let the boating fever get to you. Look at a lot of boats before choosing one and make sure to check over any boat very carefully before spending that much on it. If you are not really experienced with boats bring along someone who is. Maybe give a local boat mechanic a few bucks to come along and look it over. Also insist on a in water test. Plenty of motors sound great in the driveway but once you get them in the water under load it's a far different story. I wish you luck on your search and happy boating.
P.s. when you get it narrowed down to a few options post them on here and I'm sure plenty of guys can tell you to go ahead or steer clear.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

One of the biggest issues is actually the size for your garage. A boat rigged with an outboard or an inboard-outboard will take up room since that rigging is added to the length......... and then there is the trailer tongue which can be made to swing away.

If you can overcome the storage space obstacle I would consider that a big step.

For your budget you will be able to get a boat that should fit your capacity needs along with it being deep enough for a calm ocean day. The ocean is not a place for a novice with an older boat.

Even though I do like bow rider's ........... I would opt for a closed bow due to the water/waves.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

first, you restrict yourself too much with the garage storage. reconsider.

second--there are plenty of good boats in the 17' size that will do what you want, and they may fit. Number 1--it has to be an outboard. Number 2--it cannot be a "bowrider." You want a seaworthy hull, not a lake hull, but you can still have seating in the open bow. For the deep V, look at scout, palm beach, grady white, sea hunt. Look at center console and dual console. For cathedral hulls look at boston whaler, carolina skiff dlx, and copies. Ignore anyone who says "they will knock your teeth out."

here's how you buy a boat: start by looking at new ones, on line and in the show rooms (but don't waste salesmen's time) and also walking around the marinas. Talk to people who have boats your size. You are looking to find the style you want (see my suggestions above). After you have settled on the style, and know what I mean about the hull design (and to avoid "bowriders") then start looking at the used market.

In your budget and size, for family use in salt water bays, rivers and open water, the center console with bow seating is hands down the best design.

example: http://seahuntboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=103

JoLin

Vice Admiral

OP said that any ocean running will be done close to shore, and 'weather permitting'. In that scenario a big boat isn't really necessary, but a seaworthy one still is. That said, I still wouldn't buy one as small as what'll fit in your garage.

If you're interested in a bowrider type, look at 'dual console' models instead. They have the forward seating of a bowrider, but are based on the same hulls as a given manufacturer's center consoles and walk-around cuddies. They'll have the same self-bailing features and higher freeboard. Taking one over the bow won't be the potential catastrophe that it'd be in a bowrider. Your budget is good- you should be able to find a boat about ten years old in nice condition at that price.

My .02

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, if you haven't done so make sure you take a Boater's safety course first. That might also help you decide on a boat.

ul

Recruit

Gentlmen,
Thanks so much for all your valuable thoughts and suggestions. I really want to keep the boat in my garage, so yes the length is the obstacle, that is why I wonder if it even possible to have a solution for light (very light) ocean trips. Sounds like the bowriders in a big question. I went to ocean with my kayak and with my inflatable, but it probably a different story.
So, considering all, it looks like I cannon have a boat longer than 18 ft, and most of you suggesting outboards. Probably the choice won't be too wide. I'll look at all those types and model you recommended.
Thank you again!

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

When you start narrowing it down post them here. Plenty of good advice to be had on these pages.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would bet you would not get a boat larger than 16' in that garage. Maybe 17', but thats max. You have to consider that an outboard will still stick out close to 2' past the stern. Maybe turned 1.5'. Even with a folding tongue trailer, you will still have a little of the trailer sticking out past the bow. Less than a foot if you have the right trailer. Looking at that, the best case is your boat length + 2.5 feet. Unless you can get the exact setup you need, an 18 may be out of the question. Pay really close attention to the true total length when looking at boats.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a kayak is way safer than a bowrider in the ocean.

I suggest you have a friend bring a boat/trailer to the house and test your garage, or measure your garage and visit someone who stores a boat in his.

Be sure to note: the length of the trailer, the length of boat hanging over the end of the trailer, and the distance from transom to back of motor. My point is, boats are all rigged differently so don't assume an X length boat needs this much room, or even that an X length boat on adn Y length trailer is Z overall.

ul

Recruit

a kayak is way safer than a bowrider in the ocean.

I suggest you have a friend bring a boat/trailer to the house and test your garage, or measure your garage and visit someone who stores a boat in his.

Be sure to note: the length of the trailer, the length of boat hanging over the end of the trailer, and the distance from transom to back of motor. My point is, boats are all rigged differently so don't assume an X length boat needs this much room, or even that an X length boat on adn Y length trailer is Z overall.

Yeah, I thought about it too, the 17 ft looks more realistic in my situation. Maybe I just need to forget about the ocean and have something just for marina and lakes. Then, the bowriders or it's equivalent might come back to light. The bigger boat requires bigger car for towing, renting the storage and other expenses, which we simply cannot afford.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Given all that I would go for the smaller boat. You can always go in the near shore ocean on the occasional nice calm day, just make sure to keep a good watch on the weather.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Looks like a nice rig, if the layout fits your needs. The dual console boats I was referrring to in my previous post, really do have 'bowrider-type' seating up front. Here's an example:

http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/show/id/16

Is putting it in the garage a key requirement? Yoy have a decent budget and would have a lot more options if you could go a bit bigger. A boat in the low 20's feet range will be more versatile, and you could easily do some limited ocean running on nice days. My first boat was a 21' Pro-Line walkaround cuddyoutboard, and it was great in the slop.