What am I getting into?

lee33lyn

Recruit
I'd like to get a boat to enjoy with the family. I guy I work around has a 1998 Bayliner Capri. It's really cheap but the floor was soft under the carpet. I didn't pull the carpet back. I'm pretty handy but don't have alot of free time to spend working on a boat for week on end. What is involed in replacing the flooring in this type of boat. Or, should I run away!
thanks in advance!
Lee

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: What am I getting into?

hi....welcome to iboats !

if you dont have tome to work on it dont buy it.

the soft floor will take a first timer a minimum of 80 hours to replace....this includes replacing the foam that will be wet.

lee33lyn

Recruit

What kind of material cost? 80 hours of work would take me a couple of months at least.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

It will take you more than a couple of months. Im a complete newbie and listened to these guys advice. I work on my boat everyday for an hour or more( most of the time a lot more) and I'm on month three

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

it would truly be easier for us to complete the work in no time if we had a bazillion dollars.. as for cost lee, your looking at probably 1000-2000 in supplies... i started my boat project thinking it would take a couple hundred bucks and i would be set... well im at about 3000 total... and thats just in engine/outdrive/trailer repairs! yes mistakes where made along the way but life is not life without mistakes

BonairII

Commander

Pass on the boat. Having to restore your very first boat is not the way to go.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

What kind of material cost? 80 hours of work would take me a couple of months at least.

for the deck alone......200 bux worth of wood....

40 yards of matt and cloth....150 ish.

10 gals of resin to be safe.....250.

im also guessing that you need to need to repalce the foam......that is around another 300

tri-hull guy

Seaman

I am almost done the rebuild on my boat(jan-now working on 20 hours a week with a friend) and i can tell you unless you enjoy working on stuff like this and have the time + money dont even consider it, but if you are into tearing down and rebuilding things then this is a great opportunity!

hudson20227

Seaman

I'll add this too.... Make sure you repair everything befor you try to pretty her up... In other words If the floor is bad good chance the transom could have issues, and storade/fish boxes as well. Make sure you get all of that work done and dont rush the project. I thought I was home free on my project boat completed the painting and rub rail installation and refinnished all of the teak, now it looks like I'll be cutting my transom out and repainting the boat.... Which is why my boat will be named cart before the horse...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

for the deck alone......200 bux worth of wood....

40 yards of matt and cloth....150 ish.

10 gals of resin to be safe.....250.

im also guessing that you need to need to repalce the foam......that is around another 300
and thats if he reuses the carpet and hardware....which isnt happening....

bob

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

and thats if he reuses the carpet and hardware....which isnt happening....

bob

Grinders discs shop vac filters Tools needed in general
Work location
More fasteners, solvents, and respirators, buckets bla bla bla! This all is the price of having so much fun breathing fiberglass dust, paint fumes.

Then new carpet, seats, and any other items that you decide to replace or add on. It never ends, unless you say-good enough already.
but I love it, and I haven't even opened up my twin engines yet! addicting I tell ya!

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my boat its going to cost me another thousand on seats, carpet, stereo, and getting things the way i want it to look. this is the plus side of rebuilding because you can make the boat exactly how you want it but it does cost some $$$. Keep in mind i did say another thousand :facepalm:

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

^^ agree with seats costing alot my quote was about 1000 just for 2 back to back seats and 2 helm ..

oops!

Supreme Mariner

^^^^^ that is cheap.....the back to back seats alone are worth 500 a pop

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

My helm seats are $200 a piece from vaeda. the price is hard to beat but the costs really do add up and most people don't take these things into consideration

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

yeah, oops the back to back are from Veada.com also lol decent ones for 299 a pop. two those, than two helm seats for the back about 1000... but since than my seating chart may change ive been exploring many variations of seating including a sundeck instead of a engine doghouse... but not to hijack this thread...

Lee33lyn i hope you have carefully considered all of what we have mentioned... any word as to what your decision is?