Volvo Penta 3.0GSP-A Carburetor Question

Kel2012

Recruit
Hi,

I have a 2001 Volvo Penta 3.0GSP-A engine in my stingray 190LX. I think i need to replace the carburetor, as the engine idles really high, over 1000 RPM, which causes it to bang into gear, rough idle, engine runon, etc. I'm trying to determine what the OEM part is of the carburetor. Any suggestions on how to do that?

I obtained the following off the engine tag.
Engine serial number 4012050345
# 3869106 (not sure what this number is, production number maybe?)

I keep finding an OEM part number 3857982, but that part is no longer valid and was replaced. Would a volvo dealer be my best bet to determine what carb I need to buy? Does a new carb come with necessary gaskets and everything necessary?

Thanks for any help.

-Kelly

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 3.0GSP-A Carburetor Question

Why do people want to repace a $500+ carb before finding out if there are other problem?????

Disconnect the throttle cable at the carb and see if it idles down. Just hold the carbs throttle linkage to the idle position.

Kel2012

Recruit

Why do people want to repace a $500+ carb before finding out if there are other problem?????

Disconnect the throttle cable at the carb and see if it idles down. Just hold the carbs throttle linkage to the idle position.

I've tried that. My mechanic believes the plate which the carburetor sits on is cracked. Unless I can find just that plate, i'll need to buy the new carb. We have tried everything to get the idle to come down.

Thanks.

Kel2012

Recruit

For the other readers out there, my issue ended up being the carburetor. It needed replacement. We tried to preload the throttle cable as suggested in here, I rebuilt the carb, which didn't help. Once i put a new carb on, although it was expensive, it fixed all my problems. I believe that my old carb was leaking around the throttle shaft. It was really sloppy, and when we hit it with carb cleaner while the engine was running, it nearly stalled out the engine. So we knew it was leaking air around the shaft. The new carb is very tight. I did not go with a rebuilt carb, didn't want the same problem. Not sure why, but Volvo has changed the part number 3 times on this carb for this engine. Maybe they knew of the problem? Volvo/Holley also went to a larger fuel pump vs the old one. Boat goes in today. Excited, I think it's gong to run great.

Thanks for your help here Don. Appreciate it.

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats interesting about the accelerator pump, it looks like a 250cc pump, i remember in my youth playing with holleys and one thing we would do is fit the larger 500cc pump, they are a fantastic carby with many options for tuning the accelerator pump shot ( well on cars anyway)

i wonder if it is on boats??

i notice the fuel mixture screws are caped, do people dig these out and manually adjust the idle mixture??

thanks