I have a trim problem

bradinwva

Cadet
I have a 98 20ft seaswirl bowrider with a 5.0ho ford motor and xolvo sx outdrive. Im having problems with the trim not working. Today I took the blue and green wires off the trim motor and used a battery and the motor goes up and down like a brand new one. I put the wires back on the long rectangular relay and when you push the up trim button both the blue and green wires have power. When you push the down button both have power also. I took the wires off again and when one has power and one has ground it works as it should. Do you think the relay has gone bad? Or possibly the switch on the throttle?
thanks alot,
brad

bradinwva

Cadet
Re: I have a trim problem

Update. I took the 2 power wires off the trim motor and touched them to a battery and the motor is fine. Up when grounded one way and down with the other. I checked the wires from the trim switch on the throttle and the RED is HOT. The blue and green both have power when you push the button. One seems to have more when the button is in the up position and the other has more voltage in the down. Anyone have any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You might want to do some full model number and serial number checking, as the Fords were never used after 1996.
It sounds a lot like the trim button has failed. Does it feel funny?

Here's some troubleshooting info for that trim system.

Attachments

• SX OMC Trim Troubleshooting.jpg
    SX OMC Trim Troubleshooting.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 0

bradinwva

Cadet

Thanks Don. The boat is a 96 seaswirl 201LX. The button really feels a little spongy but it was like that when i got it. Can you buy just a button or would I have to get the whole assembly?
brad

bradinwva

Cadet

Well after looking at the diagram I think somebody has crossed the 2 blue wires on the solenoid! my blue one from the motor is on the next to the last position and not the last. man I hope this is the problem!!!

Don S

Thanks Don. The boat is a 96 seaswirl 201LX. The button really feels a little spongy but it was like that when i got it. Can you buy just a button or would I have to get the whole assembly?
brad

I assumed it was a 98 since that's what you called it in your original post.

Rather you can replace the switch, who knows. Post a picture of the control. Hard to say what the manufacturer used.

bradinwva

Cadet

I got some time off today and fooled with the boat. I followed all of the instructions on that diagram to a T and everything checked out like it should but the trim still doesnt work with the switch. I have voltage in the places im supposed to and none where I not supposed to. This thing just about has me stumped. Wonder if I could just wire up a solenoid off of a winch and make it work? Im really tired of fooling with this thing.
brad

Don S

You didn't troubleshoot correctly, or you would know why it doesn't work.

bradinwva

Cadet

Well Duuuhhh...I tried the steps on the diagram and they all checked out with my volt meter just like they were supposed to. I wouldnt have posted another rant about this thing not working if I had gotten it fixed. I had no other ideas on how to fix it. so thats why I posted here.