LEAKING HULL - repair or scrap?

I just bought this boat - out board runs great but obviously the hull is taking on water. I did not notice the crack when i bought it, it has been trailered for long trip and I have had it out three times in somewhat ruff conditions. The hull is a 1997 model Starky 21' center console. Starky is a small local company in Ponchatula LA.

Im trying to decide weather to scrap the hull and find something else or repair it and if it is repairable can it be done from the bottom side or will the floor need to be taken out to (beings the damage is under the fuel tank) to repair it properly. My main concern is safety - the boat will be used in ruff conditions and for extened periods of time.

Attachments

• crack1.jpg
    crack1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 0
  • crack4.jpg
    crack4.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: LEAKING HULL - repair or scrap?

hi....welcome to iboats.

that doesnt look good.

yes it can be repaired out side only......

BUT

that crack looks like a hard joint...it looks like it is right below the stringer. (tough to tell from the pics)

some of the problems that can occure with a crack like that, is a waterlogged hull.
what happens is that if the crack is letting water in to the foam side......the faom will stop any major gush of water getting in to the hull....but the foam it self will hold a few gallons of it.

that means the foam must come out and the stringers replaced.
its pretty much a full gut at that point.

it is possible that the crack is on the other side of the stringer, in which the water would be in between the stringers and have clear passage to the bilge, in that scenario, an out side only repair would work. but it is not optimal.

the proper repair is an inside out job. that means repair the glass from the inside if the hull, as well as the out side.
that way you could also determine the location of the crack in conjunction with the stringer.
that will tell you if a full gut is needed.

replacing the hull would be an option, but i highly doubt that you will find any hull available that does not need the same work.
unless its an insurance claim. most hulls only are far older than a 97

Thank you for the info - I do not see or feel any foam in that part of the hull where the crack is at. What would be the best way to remove the floor for an easy reinstall after the patch work is done?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Oops is the king of glass he will steer you in the right direction,...

I'm just hoping yous will put up some more pics of the boat, We like pics of boats around here!!,....lol

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the emergency flotation foam in under the deck where you cant see it.

it is in every boat by law.

they way to remove the deck is to take a circular saw (skill saw) set the depth at 1/2 inch and cut.

for you ....i would cut where the gas tank is....

if you have a ski locker.....look in the ski locker.....either side will be the stringer....the bulkhead aft is the gas tank bulkhead.
follow the stingers from the aft bulkhead to the motor cage. cut out that rectangle.

so cut along each stringer.....the bulkhead at the rear of the ski locker....and as close as you can get to the motor dog house.

remove that deck...

drain and disconnect the gas tank, and remove it.....there will be a flange on each end with three screws.....remove the three screws on each end.......the tank still wont come up freely......this is because the foam is holding the tank in place.....you just need to be rough and take the tank out.

once the tank is out.....clean all the foam from that area and take pics....

lets see what is going on in that area....i hope we can see that crack.....if not...the crack is on the other side of the stringer and the whole rear area of the deck must come out.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice

There is a product called MAX TPC sold on ebay by a company Polymer Product out of CA.
I cut an 18 inch long hole in my hull with a circular saw ( blade dropped in the middle of my cut)
Take a dremel clean out the crack wash with Acetone then apply with a syring (they sell them too)
to fill the hole. the product does not sage or drip. I repaired my hull this winter and have had no issues.
i have been on some big water and taken some pounding with no signs of stress or cracking.
EPOXY RESIN HULL REPAIR CONCRETE PATCH WOOD ROT FILLER
copy and paste the above title in ebay and it will bring you right to the product.
or call directly 877 403 8008
i called the store and spoke to Gerald he is awesome and full of knowlegde about what is needed to complete the repair.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There is a product called MAX TPC sold on ebay by a company Polymer Product out of CA.
I cut an 18 inch long hole in my hull with a circular saw ( blade dropped in the middle of my cut)
Take a dremel clean out the crack wash with Acetone then apply with a syring (they sell them too)
to fill the hole. the product does not sage or drip. I repaired my hull this winter and have had no issues.
i have been on some big water and taken some pounding with no signs of stress or cracking.
EPOXY RESIN HULL REPAIR CONCRETE PATCH WOOD ROT FILLER
copy and paste the above title in ebay and it will bring you right to the product.
or call directly 877 403 8008
i called the store and spoke to Gerald he is awesome and full of knowlegde about what is needed to complete the repair.

This is sooo dangerous of a suggestion !!

I will talk to Gerald in about an hour when he gets in ..

Please peeps.. Do not recommend products and methods that can potentially result in Loss of Life !!

This is were I get upset... ..

YD.