Engine Surging

Brett Dietrich

Recruit
I have a 89 40 hp TJ40elec that as begun to surge when I throttle up from idle. When in low idle it seems to run fine. It seems to be starving for fuel at high throttle. I pumped the primer bulb while it was surging and it didn't seem to help much. I did also notice that the inline fuel filter doesnt seem to stay full as it once did. Is my course of action replacing the fuel pump? Oh I did clean the fuel filter and no change. Any thought?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine Surging

If it is surging at high speed I would check the high speed jet.
You might also check the spark at the plugs with a timing light at high speed to make sure you are not dropping spark on a cylinder.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you done any carb work on it ? Checked for any fuel or air leaks ? Switched fuel tanks ?

Brett Dietrich

Recruit

Have you done any carb work on it ? Checked for any fuel or air leaks ? Switched fuel tanks ?

I have not done any carb work on it. All of my fuel connections are tight and secure. Has a new primer bulb and fuel line from tank to engine input. Vent on tank is also open. If I recall it did the same thing last year and I put new fuel filter on and went away. I did clean the filter to no prevail. It has had over a tank of gas run thru it before I just added more fuel to the tank. Could it be bad gas? The gas was fresh that I put in. I did remove the lower spark plug wire and it stalled out. Will check upper today.