Propshaft seals have changed parts for my 40HP - extended lip now

mike__b

Seaman
I'm replacing the propshaft seals which were leaking on my '93 40HP. The online diagrams and everything I've seen online talks about replacing the two seals which are installed back to back with the same, two seals back to back.

I ordered the lower unit seal kit since it was such a deal. It has directions that explain that for 40HP the V4's, two single lip seals should be replaced with a single-case extended lip seal instead. In fact, the kit only comes with two single lip seals, which are for the drive shaft.

Does anyone know how to install these without damaging them? Since it isn't flat, it looks like it may be more difficult. Is there some compelling reason to order the single lip seals instead?

I have the bearing carrier removed and I've been cleaning it up. Knocked the rear bearing out and the seals. I guess I'm just waiting to reassemble.

TIA

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Propshaft seals have changed parts for my 40HP - extended lip now

Thats not a seal its now called a oil retainer. The proper way to install it is clean the contact surfaces and install a dab of 3 Bond 1194 liquid gasket to edges. A split piece of 3/4 pvc make a good install tool as this seal doesnt take a lot of effort to install.