Hydrofoil, again!

SeaULater3

Recruit
I am new to pontoon boats but not boating. Had a hydrofoil on my 22' Sea Hunt and liked it. Now I will have an 18' Avalon toon with a 50hp Merc Bigfoot. Will a Davis Whale Tail XL Hydrofoil do me any good in any aspect of the boat's performance. The claim is that it extends out behind the prop to utilize the prop wash energy that is normally lost breaking the water. Your thoughts please!

Let's all be careful out there.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Hydrofoil, again!

I doubt that you will see much effect with a hydrofoil on a pontoon boat, they simply do not respond like on plaining hulls. What I have noticed is that on some pontoons they will help keep the prop from cavitating in turns as easily in the turbulent water coming off the tunes. Dropping the motor down to its lowest setting would be prefered, but if it is already there then the hydrofoil may help marginally.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Save your money...don't need it on a pontoon boat.....

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I was JUST looking at a new boat catalog that came yesterday -- and saw the hydrofoils... Wondered if anyone ever stuck on on a pontoon. There's so much turbulence back there, I thought it may help keeping with keeping the prop in the water. Last year, I raised the outboard, and then lowered it, and found I had better 'performance' (if there is such a think on a pontoon) where it was originally (verified by GPS -- a difference of 14mph to 16 mph). Perhaps a hydrofoil might be something else to try...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I am still looking for the NOS fogger kit for my 9.9 :D

SeaULater3

Recruit

Several years ago there was a publication, Powerboat Reports, which tested boating gear. I hated to see the magazine go belly up, as they did great "consumer reports" tests and comparison of gear, boats and boating stuff. Wish something like that was here today to do critical testing on hydrofoils for pontoons. To bad that the builders themselves don't address the issue. There might be some surprises!?

Thanks to those who responded.

Be Careful Out There. Sea-U-Later