Real outboard pricing

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
We all know NADA is the worst place to find real prices on used outboards. What is the best way to value a used outboard? I'm not inclined to average CL prices since we all know they are high anyway.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Real outboard pricing

With used motors it's all about what someone is willing to pay and it really does vary by area as well. Other than asking around on here there really isn't a great way of going about it that I'm aware of. You are certainly right about cl though a lot of people on there are really dreaming when it comes to pricing.

RonJon24

Seaman

I am in the same boat, no pun intended. I am looking for a good 9.9 or there abouts up to a good 15hp. Not only are good ones hard to find, they are hard to find what they are worth.

I just sold a 1973 7.5 Mercury in great shape for $450 in less than two days. I def under priced it. I sold it because it was only pushing my 14' V-hull aluminum boat at 7 or 8 mph, and I want to get closer to 20 mph. I am hoping a 9.9 or 15 hp will do it? I had rebuilt the carb, replaced hoses and spark plugs, changed the impeller, and foot oil in this unit before I sold it for $450, it ran great. I am seeing game fisher 9.9 and older 9.9 motors for $500-$900.

I have a 2003 MSHB Yamaha 15 tiller motor, not an electric start, that I am trying to determine worth. The guys, whom I know personally is asking $1100. The motor is in fair shape, not great... it has a flat spot on the bottom of the foot and all three blades of the aluminum prop which appears to be where it was slammed against concrete white running. I don't think it would have much impact on its running, if any... just a little loss of aerodynamics and loss of prop.

I have pictures, but I am new here so I don't know if I can post them.

Does anyone have any idea what this motor would be worth, and if it is not a great deal, where can you buy really good outboards? Would you prefer a older model from the 80's over one from 2000's?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The problem you have is that you are looking for the most desirable sized motor there is. They are great as fishing motors as well as kickers for bigger boats. More desirable = more money. Also, if you want top dollar for that Yammi, replace the prop.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Theres and old rule of thumb. Take the asking price of a new motor and subtract 1/3 if the motor is in perfect condition. That's what it's worth the day after you buy it. The average usage is based on 100 hours per year and it doesn't matter what the hour meter says. The motor is considered at end of life if perfectly maintained after 1000 hours or 10 years. Just guessing but the motor you are talking about costs roughly 3500.00 new. The day after you buy it, it's worth 2300.00 now divide that by 10 and add 1000.00. The 2013's will be out in another month or so which makes that motor worth about 1230.00 in excellent condition. Getting it back into usable condition will run you about 150-200 dollars so 1,100.00 is just about right.

Try it on a few motors that you find for sale, it might suprise you how accurate it can be.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The value of any outboard varies a lot with location and season, Rocky. It is therefore pure unqualified speculation to quote a value.

RonJon24

Seaman

thanks for the tips. I know prices can vary too. Just for clarification because my first post was unclear.... I sold the mercury because it was a little small, and want to replace it by buying the yamaha. I am wanting to make sure it is worth the $1100 in it's current condition with the wear on the foot and the prop.

RonJon24

Seaman

Where is a good place to find use outboards, besides CL?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB, I realize your truth, I was hoping to narrow down the possibilities. The SWAG method just doesn't work well.

RonJon24

Seaman

Hey guys, I realize that pricing is always subject to geographic market, season, etc... but it seems that their would always be an acceptable range to start from. A ballpark type figure. It does seem that motors in the Atlanta GA area are harder to come by these days. I know I can find cheaper older motors. It seems I can find a regular supply of 70's and 80's model Mercury, Game Fishers, Johnson's in the $500-$800 range, and was really wondering if a 2003 Yamaha is worth the extra $300-$500 over one of these older motors. I am asking assuming that any motor I look at runs and idles well during a test. I am not willing to buy any motor at any price if it doesn't run well on a test drive. It seems that some people would prefer a 85 Johnson over a 2003 Yamaha. I am asking for peoples opinion that know more than I do, since i am new to small outboard boating, and boating in general.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just bought a 1985 Evinrude 15HP for $600 a couple weeks ago from CL. There were numerous others in line to buy it if I didn't. I took a big gamble and bought it without testing it out at all. Fortunately it turned out OK as the motor runs like a top.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The dealers use the ABOS motor pricing for trade in/resale values......

RonJon24

Seaman

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I will be testing the motor today, and will let you know what I decide.

RonJon24

Seaman

To Anyone that is interested... I tested the motor and it runs great, I plan to offer $1000 for it, and hope he takes it. I would be willing to pay the $1100 if need be. The motor pushes my boat 22mph and planes fairly well. I'd rather have the full 25hp that is the max for the boat, but that would keep me off the local lakes. I am satisfied with this motor for this boat. I do plan to replace the prop, and wonder what is the best prop for speed.