Electric Drive Sailboat Prop, Maximize Regeneration

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all. I have some ideas on this, but thought I'd solicit other opinions.

My brother in law has ordered an ELCO drive sytem for his sailboat. The boat is 30 feet or so. The motor is a 10kW model (13hp or so), max rpm = 1800.

We are trying to figure out the type of prop which will give him decent thrust, and also decent regen potential.

Any ideas for design criteria?

Thanks,

Chay

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electric Drive Sailboat Prop, Maximize Regeneration

Just spit wadding::There is a prop mod I think called reverse cup? that is supposed to improve reverse thrust.
If your figuring regen when sailing that might improve regen as well. And you would gain the improved reverse thrust as well.
I read somewhere that a locked prop presents less drag than one free to spin.But you probably knew that allready.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

OK you guys in fairyland, You are Not going to move a 30' boat with an electric motor, unles you have a15 knot tail wind. Did you see the system work before you purchased it. Maybe docking if the wind isn't blowing. As to regen, with slippage and the efficency of a charging system -15% in and -15% out you will have to go quite a way to even use it. I guess if you replaced all of your sails with solar panels maybe you could use it!!!!

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Does this motor run off batteries or DC generator. how many pounds of batteries did he buy, and at what cost. Don't get me wrong I love my minn kota ap55 but it takes a 29series deep cycle to give me a full day of trolling on a 14' alum. A 30' boat with rigging and all is going backwards in a 5 knot wind. There is a bridge out there that your inlaw might want to buy.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Star,

Electric marine propulsion from Ft Meyers FL, makes a system. It runs on a battery bank at 144v dc. Combined with prop regen, solar and diesel generator backup to make a complete system.

I'm sure there are other systems out there too.

Chay- have you tried contacting different manufactures? I know they use bigger props than diesels since electric motors make full torque as soon as they move. Please post what you find.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

I know that I shouldn't even ask this question but what does the ideal system cost and weigh. Yes I know that they are all different, just a ball park guess for a 30' sail.