Water intake connection leaking in volvo penta

vpbodie

Recruit
Hello to all, I am new to this site and still learning so I hope Im posting correctly. I have a 2001 Chris Craft 210 bowrider. I knew the boat needed some work when I purchase it, bellows, u-joints, gimbal, etc. All those things have been repaired and the boat runs great, however, I had a leak around the connector where the water intake hose comes through the transom and connects to the hose in the engine bay. I have replaced the hose and the connector and still see water coming in from around it. The connector came with no gasket or sealant and from what I understand it seals when you tighten it and it pulls the hose close to the transom. I also understand this is a bad design from volvo penta. My question is, can I use a sealant or a gasket and has anyone had the same issue? I have a DP drive and 5.7 engine. Im lost as how to finally stop this leak!! Thanks for any info

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water intake connection leaking in volvo penta

Hello to all, I am new to this site and still learning so I hope Im posting correctly. I have a 2001 Chris Craft 210 bowrider. I knew the boat needed some work when I purchase it, bellows, u-joints, gimbal, etc. All those things have been repaired and the boat runs great, however, I had a leak around the connector where the water intake hose comes through the transom and connects to the hose in the engine bay. I have replaced the hose and the connector and still see water coming in from around it. The connector came with no gasket or sealant and from what I understand it seals when you tighten it and it pulls the hose close to the transom. I also understand this is a bad design from volvo penta. My question is, can I use a sealant or a gasket and has anyone had the same issue? I have a DP drive and 5.7 engine. Im lost as how to finally stop this leak!! Thanks for any info

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... If it's a design problem, I'm bettin' Don has seen it before,...

He'll be along shortly....
He'll also wanta know the full model designation of yer motor/ drive...