1st problem on my 86 Cobalt 19ft br

rarmstrong2

Cadet
I recently purchased my 1st boat. It was a purchase from a good friend. Tonight, my wife and baby were out for a swim. Boat was running fine. We turned off the engine and when we went to turn back on there was NO power whatsoever. No lights, no guages..nothing! I looked at the battery and made sure the connections looked ok. They did. We sweated it for a few minutes with the paddles getting us out of shallow water. I tried again and nothing..then I noticed my lights and guages were back. I turned the key and wallah started like a champ. Now I am scared to take the boat out for the fear of this happening again with a screaming 16month old. Any suggestions where to first look???<br />Thanks for helping a newbie.<br />rob a<br />Charlotte, NC Mt. Island Lake

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1st problem on my 86 Cobalt 19ft br

Lots of possibilities.<br />Faulty cables. (Not just at the battery, but where they attach to the engine)<br />Check Positive and Negative cables.<br />Check main engine harness plug on the engine.<br />Check the battery switch if equiped

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Main engine harness plug was the problem on mine when I had the same problem. I could always tell when it happened because I could hear the blower shut off. (I usually leave it on when we're sitting, swimming, etc.) I had to unhook it from the mounting bracket and mount it differently because it was putting the plug in a bind.<br /><br />Turn on your blower and then move the harness around and see if you can duplicate the problem.

rarmstrong2

Cadet

Thanks. Where is this harness? Is it with the engine or under the gauges up front? Did you have to replace yours or just move it a bit.<br /><br />Ps..what is the best site to order parts from?

rarmstrong2

Cadet

Also, is it possible that the harness was wet? I had a lot of water in the boat as my cover failed. All this water went straight to the engine reservoir.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

The harness is where the two 'plugs' join on the engine, one for the engine side, one that goes to the key, instruments, etc.......I use a stainless steel clamp to hold them together tightly and to keep out moisture....You should also post what kind of power package you have.....Did you ask your friend if this had ever happened before? You can usually gain alot of knowledge from previous owners.......JK

rarmstrong2

Cadet

ITs the 260hp merc alpha 1 motor. I will ask about previous problems but he never mentioned this happening in my previous talks with him.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Good motor, I strongly suggest you follow Don S. advice about other possible locations for your problem....JK

rarmstrong2

Cadet

It turned out to be a faulty connection from the positive battery cable where it attaches to the starter. <br /><br />Thanks for the suggestions.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

It's good to hear it was something simple. Keep in mind that you have a 19 year old boat, you probably should go over it carefully and see if anything else needs to be replaced (cooling hoses, impeller, fuel hoses, etc.) Better yet find a good marine mechanic and pay them to go through it for you, they can find things you might not notice and avoid problems.

rarmstrong2

Cadet

Good advice. I figured it was something simple as the boat just runs so well and all of a sudden wouldn't even turn over. Will do. Thanks Lou.