Rust Converter on engine block??

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got some chipped paint on bolt heads on engine block and mid section which have rusted a little.Could i paint with rust converter or normal paint better?
Thanks Paul.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rust Converter on engine block??

Got some chipped paint on bolt heads on engine block and mid section which have rusted a little.Could i paint with rust converter or normal paint better?
Thanks Paul.

Ayuh,.... Use whatever trips yer trigger....

I paint my motors with rattlecan Rustoleum...

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Found out Rust Converter is not heat resistant and not suitable to use on engine.Not sure if Rustoleum kills existing rust.Is there another product that kills rust before painting on engine block.I know vinegar is always an option.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Your engine block does not get that hot, the exhaust does but hopefully not the block. Eastwood has a couple of products that will work for rust conversion on steel and iron. OsPho was the product of choice back in the day but I haven't seen it around for a long time. Probably an EPA issue.

Jiminthekeys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ospho is still around. They sell in at my local ace. I live in the keys so it might be hard to find elswhere though... Rust bullet seems like it might be good stuff though. Im trying it myself but wont know for sure if its worth the money for it.

Your engine block does not get that hot, the exhaust does but hopefully not the block. Eastwood has a couple of products that will work for rust conversion on steel and iron. OsPho was the product of choice back in the day but I haven't seen it around for a long time. Probably an EPA issue.