1985 Johnson 30 hp stalling on accel, just as cam follower comes off timing cam

pashton394

Recruit
Gents,

I have read all the posts I can on this forum and others. I am extensive experience with motors, mostly cars/airplanes but not this one. I just picked it up on a 13 Whaler.

First, what I have done. Rebuilt carb fully...it was pretty clean anyway. Rebuilt fuel pump...wanted to make sure it had the alcohol resistant diaphragm. Replaced the plugs. Replaced the fuel lines to the carb. Performed sync directly out of factory manual. Cam roller falls directly between marks as butterfly starts to move. Performed Joe Reeves WOT timing procedure. Confirmed timing while underway...it is correct. That was fun...

Symptoms. Motor starts and idles perfectly. Slow speed accel is fine. At the point where you are transitioning from the low speed jet to the high speed jet, the motor bogs and stalls 75% of the time. if you are fast with the throttle you can get it thru this range without a stall.

What I have tired. I went back thru the carb to make sure all passages are clean...they are. I confirmed fuel pressure is good...bulb is hard upon accel, 4-5 psi at carb. I removed the cover underway and can see fuel going out the high speed jet into the carb when/if it is running high speed. I do notice that the fuel seems to come out in what I would call a spurt rather than a mist. I am familiar with the way a holley should spray fuel...but this carb may be different??

It appears that too much fuel is coming into the carb upon accel and the motor is loading up. I did notice that when removing the cover it seemed to "breath" a little better. Where does it get it's air?? I noticed that the cover does not have vents like my bigger outboards.

It will restart and I can limp home, but I want to solve the problem so my 13 YO son can burn his dollars and not mine :).

Thanks, Pete

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Johnson 30 hp stalling on accel, just as cam follower comes off timing cam

That sounds like the idle pickup timing is slightly off.... that is the throttle butterfly is opening too soon in relation to the timing (set screw in barrel on rod leading from vertical throttle arm to carburetor). Refer to proper adjustment procedure in service manual.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Johnson 30 hp stalling on accel, just as cam follower comes off timing cam

Agreed. OR, timing is not correct (retarded). OR timing is not at full advance (sticky) before it kicks the carb follower off the cam.