Protecting my beloved "Pool Toy", how to add some layers of rubber?

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased an Intex Mariner 4 Inflatable Boat, and while it may not seem like a huge investment for some, it is quite the investment for a humble college student with an inexplicable passion for fishing (which I have not done much of yet, except for the local urban ponds which get stocked with either trout or cat, but these are beginning to bore me, I want to land a bass, be it a large- or small- mouthed, I just want to land one...)

In any case... I would like to add some layers of plastic to the underside of my inflatable boat, as a protective measure; and I was hoping to do it in a fairly inexpensive manner. So, I was wondering whether the following would work for my intended application.
I would like to make it much harder for sharp rocks and submerged tree/brush branches to scrape and puncture my boat when out fishing the local lakes. Will this product ==>BLACK JACK 10.1 Oz. Neo-Seal Synthetic Roof Sealant or perhaps this one ==> BLACK JACK 10.1 Oz. All Weather Roof Cement, (both sold at Lowes) work for what I intend to do? Will it adhere to this PVC composite (Super-Tough PVC) without any difficulties?

At $2-$5 a canister, it seems like a done deal, but will it work as well as say liquid rubber, like I've seen in so many repair kits being sold for higher end boats and dinghies by Zodiac, Saturns, etc? And why is it that I see no mention of anyone putting extra coats of rubber (using one of these liquid rubber, or rubber paint methods) on (cheaper) boats by Intex, Sevylor, and other "pool toys"? One would think that this would be a common practice, yet I've seen no evidence of this.

Another one of my plans is to make a custom boat boot for my boat. One similar to the one made by Sevylor, but I will inquire about it in a separate thread (seeing as how I've already made an essay out of this one..)

My apologies for such long, drawn out questions... Any advise/help/comment would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.

RT-

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Protecting my beloved "Pool Toy", how to add some layers of rubber?

RT, good adhesion would be the big issue. Whether you even need a "protective layer" is another issue. Is the boat new; are you trying to seal a boat from future punctures?

Can I offer an opinion, respectfully? If it's in good shape, I would use the boat as purchased. I can understand you wanting to build up the layers a bit, but maybe just leave it as is, and practice careful navigation to avoid sharp rocks and the branches. Smaller branches will just deflect away from the boat anyway, and sharp rocks close enough to the surface to do any damage are easily avoided and are easy to spot unless the water is very murky. Be prepared to get your legs wet when coming ashore if necessary to stay off the rocks. Better yet, just stay away from them. You'll find that most inflatable owners do all that's possible to keep their boats from getting scratched up needlessly. You'll also find that the tubes have a bit of "give" built in when striking a blunt object. Be safe. Good luck with the fishing.
Larry

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

Larry,

Thanks for your response..

Yes, the boat is new, and yes, this would be more along the lines of protecting the boat from future punctures. While this boat is a step above the regular 20-30 gauge single-layer pvc used on other inflatables in its price range; it is still not as rigid as higher end inflatables such as those made by Zodiac, Saturn, Achilles, Avon. And even these are susceptible to being damaged and/or punctured.
Despite the manufacturer?s claims that this pvc is actually ?a 30 gauge Super-Tough material made up of three separate layers; two outer layers of heavy gauge PVC [which] are laminated to an inner layer of 1000 denier polyester mesh fabric to add extra reinforcement?? and claims of the material being ?? unaffected by gasoline, oil and salt water plus [resistant to] damage from abrasion, impact and sunlight; I think I would feel more at ease having the extra protection of either a custom-made boot (a protective sock/boot-like under-cover), similar to the one made by Sevylor for its HF280 and HF360 boats, or the extra layers of rubber.

So I gather that the roofing sealant will not likely bond properly to pvc. Will the liquid rubber (specifically made for higher-end RIBS) work on my mariner? Thank you. Oh and also, in the meantime, this is what I had in mind for making a boot, please tell me what you think?
For the boot, I was planning on using an outdoor fabric I found at Walmart, made of a synthetic polyester canvas with a pvc backing. It is called Pro-Tuff Outdoor fabric, and it is 100% waterproof, UV, mildew, and fade resistant that is often used for canopies and outdoor furniture. This would add a bit of protection when setting up/down, and dragging in/out of water. I was hoping to try this first, since it is fairly easy to sew together, and at $4.97 per linear yard of fabric 60?-tall (36?x60?piece), 7-8 yards will suffice to make the boot.
I also wonder whether I may be able to glue or even weld some of this fabric to the bottom and sides of the boat, since it is essentially a polyester-lined pvc. If I am successful at this, I might not need to add any extra layers of rubber, and it would be a lighter approach to reinforcing my boat.

I?ll admit that I might be getting a bit obsessed with this ?reinforcement? project, so please feel free to sincerely share your thoughts? and once again, thank you for any and all comments/suggestions?

RT-

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Where to begin............. Okay, it's true that any inflatable is subject to puncture, but it takes A LOT to poke a hole in a Zodiac, Achilles or Avon. Jury's still out on Saturn, but of course it's going to be tougher than your Intex. That said, you're overthinking it BIG TIME. I know you're just trying to do things the right way, but by spraying coats of rubber on your boat all you'll do is waste money and impede performance. Please don't do it. Take that money and spend it on plastic worms and crank baits. If your fishing takes you anywhere that you run a real risk of poking a hole in your Mariner you don't have any business being there in the first place. Go fishing and have a good time and don't worry about your boat. It will last you a few years then you'll be ready to pull the trigger on a better one. That's what that type of boat is designed for, and there's nothing you can do to change that. Welcome to iboats. We expect pics of that first bucketmouth.:cool:

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Back in the mid 80s, I got a Sevylor 3 man boat to go fishing in with a friend. I can hear those of you with experience saying, no way will that work! And you are right: Two people with gear can not fish out of one of those. So he bought one as well and we fished for maybe 3 years out of them, then I moved and it stayed packed up for almost 20 years. Once again I got the fishing bug, pulled it out and used it for another full season! Yes, that Sevylor product was that good! Because I then wanted a larger boat, I didn't hesitate to go right back to Sevylor for their biggest and best, the HF 360. That was last spring. Out of the box, the product was just as impressive, with 2 exceptions: 1. It no longer had Boston valves; 2. It still came with a flimsy battery bag. The boat performed perfectly, with considerable use all summer. In the fall, a major valve failed, which I have no doubt, was due to the new valve design. I am satisfied with how Sevylor resolved this problem, though it was outside or their ridiculously short (3 month) warrantee.

Long story short: I now have a new Sevylor HF 360 and after many years with this type of lower end (price-wise) product, I have very little concern about the durability of the material, at least for lake use. I firmly believe that your time, money and effort would be better spent on something else, instead of reinforcing the material. Besides, as implied, any layer you create might separate, could increase drag, might weaken the material, will increase weight and might cause any number of other problems. Maybe make yourself a hard floor or something else to improve your experience. With reasonable care (mine is deflated between uses, never left just sitting in the sun, and is gently beached on fine gravel, sand or mud shores) I expect your boat will last for years. Granted I have no experience with the Mariner, but it looks solid and I have been impressed by the quality of other Intex products. No, it is not a Zodiac or Saturn, but for lake fishing, bass, trout, perch, crappie, etc., I think you're in great shape!

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

Where to begin............. Okay, it's true that any inflatable is subject to puncture, but it takes A LOT to poke a hole in a Zodiac, Achilles or Avon. Jury's still out on Saturn, but of course it's going to be tougher than your Intex. That said, you're overthinking it BIG TIME. I know you're just trying to do things the right way, but by spraying coats of rubber on your boat all you'll do is waste money and impede performance. Please don't do it. Take that money and spend it on plastic worms and crank baits. If your fishing takes you anywhere that you run a real risk of poking a hole in your Mariner you don't have any business being there in the first place. Go fishing and have a good time and don't worry about your boat. It will last you a few years then you'll be ready to pull the trigger on a better one. That's what that type of boat is designed for, and there's nothing you can do to change that. Welcome to iboats. We expect pics of that first bucketmouth.:cool:

I may be overthinking it a bit here, its just that this is my first boat and I want to take care of it... With that said, I think I will still make the protective boot for it, seeing how I've already bought the fabric and my mother-in-law has already offered to sew it for me... As far as the extra layers of rubber, I will take your advice and invest in some worms and go do some fishing... I'll be sure to post some pics...
thanks for you advice capt...

Last edited:

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

Back in the mid 80s, I got a Sevylor 3 man boat to go fishing in with a friend. I can hear those of you with experience saying, no way will that work! And you are right: Two people with gear can not fish out of one of those. So he bought one as well and we fished for maybe 3 years out of them, then I moved and it stayed packed up for almost 20 years. Once again I got the fishing bug, pulled it out and used it for another full season! Yes, that Sevylor product was that good! Because I then wanted a larger boat, I didn't hesitate to go right back to Sevylor for their biggest and best, the HF 360. That was last spring. Out of the box, the product was just as impressive, with 2 exceptions: 1. It no longer had Boston valves; 2. It still came with a flimsy battery bag. The boat performed perfectly, with considerable use all summer. In the fall, a major valve failed, which I have no doubt, was due to the new valve design. I am satisfied with how Sevylor resolved this problem, though it was outside or their ridiculously short (3 month) warrantee.

Long story short: I now have a new Sevylor HF 360 and after many years with this type of lower end (price-wise) product, I have very little concern about the durability of the material, at least for lake use. I firmly believe that your time, money and effort would be better spent on something else, instead of reinforcing the material. Besides, as implied, any layer you create might separate, could increase drag, might weaken the material, will increase weight and might cause any number of other problems. Maybe make yourself a hard floor or something else to improve your experience. With reasonable care (mine is deflated between uses, never left just sitting in the sun, and is gently beached on fine gravel, sand or mud shores) I expect your boat will last for years. Granted I have no experience with the Mariner, but it looks solid and I have been impressed by the quality of other Intex products. No, it is not a Zodiac or Saturn, but for lake fishing, bass, trout, perch, crappie, etc., I think you're in great shape!

It is good to hear that you've had such good experience with products in this price range, especially since you are using it for fishing as well. I have moved past the idea of spraying rubber on it, but would still like to make the protective boot for it. I know Sevylor makes (or used to make) one for their boats, but I've been unable to find any retailer (both physical and online) that still carries and sells these boots. They've apparently been discontinued, but from what I've read, they were a great accessory to buy for your boat, as they not only protected it when draggin in and out of the water, but also against prolonged sun exposure. I will hopefully make a similar one for my boat for a total of about $35-$40. And the good thing about the mariner is that it already comes with a rigid, slatted floor. I've put a 2mm sheet of plastic and two carpted tiles that seem to fit perfect. I will post pictures of upgrades as soon as I've found my camera..
Thank you for your input...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Good deal Q-ban. Don't forget the fish pics.

azzurro

Seaman

Good deal Q-ban. Don't forget the fish pics.
Rubber & PVC ... just won't glue.
Better take 1 or 2 clam seals and a hand air pump for emergency repairs.
Beware not to overthink, you can spoil your boat before using it! I believe this forum is full of TOC - and I include myself!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Rubber & PVC ... just won't glue.
Better take 1 or 2 clam seals and a hand air pump for emergency repairs.
Beware not to overthink, you can spoil your boat before using it! I believe this forum is full of TOC - and I include myself!

Tear-Aid is always good to have along too. Be sure you get the right type.

filthy

Cadet

Mate like what most have already said, you are overthinking,, i have a 10 foot inflatable and wanted kinda the same but ended up just putting a layer of good qaulity duct tape along the lowest parts of the boat, mainly for coming in to shore and rubbing on the sand/ gravels, your boot idea sounds good cause yeah the less crap you drag ya boat on the better and jsut make sure you clean it well before you pack it up and they will last for years! Ive taken boats made out of similar material white water rafting and you'd be surprised just how tough they are, Good fishing to ya