Need ignition coil resistance specs

Jinxx

Recruit
My 96' Bayliner has a Mercruiser 5.7l v8 w/Thunderblot V ignition. I replaced the cap/rotor, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil and starter about 1.5yrs ago and the boat has been running great. I hadn't used it in about 3 months due to rainy weather and went to start it up yesterday but it wouldn't start. I live in Hawaii so don't winterize, etc. Batteries are nice and strong, I seem to be getting fuel (also tried starter fluid to help it along) and the engine turns over but doesn't start. I wanted to test the coil to see if it's gone bad but I don't know what the specs for resistance are supposed to be. Does anyone out there have a manual that says what the resistance should be on the primary and secondary windings?

I have a Sierra coil part #18-5438.

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need ignition coil resistance specs

Do you have spark? Do you have power to the + terminal on the coil when the ignition switch is in the run position? Kill switch lanyard installed?

Primary Resistance .60-.80 Ohms
Secondary Resistance 9,400-11,700 Ohms

Jinxx

Recruit

Thanks Don! There is power at the + terminal on the coil when the key is in the on position. I tested for spark at the plug wires and there was none. I tested for spark at the wire that comes off the center of the coil and there was none. I disconnected the tach to remove it as a possible problem (read that a shorted tach could be a cause) but still no spark. I removed the coil from the engine and used a multimeter (cheap radio shack unit is all I have) and here are the results:

Meter at 200 ohm setting read 1.1~1.2 on the primary winding (+ and - posts).
Meter at 20k ohm setting read 7.82~7.83 on the secondary winding (center and + post).

Based on the numbers you listed, it looks like the coil is bad...would you agree?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Based on the numbers you listed, it looks like the coil is bad...would you agree?

Follow the troubleshooting flowchart in the genuine manual... Just shotgunning these systems will cost you far more than it should.

Chris......

Jinxx

Recruit

Follow the troubleshooting flowchart in the genuine manual... Just shotgunning these systems will cost you far more than it should.

Chris......

I'm guessing you didn't read my original post. There's nothing "shotgunning" about what I've done. I'll wait for Don or anyone else who'd like to confirm/discount the coil being bad based on my measurements - thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... with power at the (+) terminal, there should be a spark from the hi-tension tower, when ya ground the (-) side...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'm guessing you didn't read my original post. There's nothing "shotgunning" about what I've done. I'll wait for Don or anyone else who'd like to confirm/discount the coil being bad based on my measurements - thanks.

I did read your first post, and there is absolutely nothing in there that says anything about following the trouble shooting flow chart. All it says is that you replaced a bunch of parts 18 months ago, boat ran great, now it won't start and you have taken a pot-shot guess at the coil....

If you'd like someone to say the coil's bad, take it to an auto-sparky and have him test it.... That'll confirm one way or the other.

BTW, a bad coil is just one of many reasons why you could have lost spark, hence my suggestion to test the system by the book... :rolleyes: