reverse flush cobra

vicsponjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took the 215 sundowner, 5.7, cobra, out the other day and it got up to around 175-190. Took the impeller out for replacement and it doesn't look too bad. How would I go about flushing out the cooling system on this?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: reverse flush cobra

What do you mean by doesn't look too bad? if it is missing vanes look in the thermo housing and ps cooler on the rear of the engine. I'd also verify the thermo is working right and the manifolds/risers are not clogged up. Cobra impeller is easy to do, but do the whole thing, housing, cage, wear plates, etc. Those OMCs should run at 160 for the most part.

vicsponjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

doesn't look to bad = almost like new, no vanes missing, just still a little twisted. I put the new one in, won't do anything else till I get it back in the water. Unfortunately I did it before I read your post and only changed the impeller. Risers and manifolds were cleaned out a couple of years ago by prev owner, and hasn't seen much run time since then, but it was a salt water boat. Risers look like they'll come off pretty easy, If it gets warm again I'll pull them and check them out.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

vic, the riser are really easy IF the crappy 1/4x20 bolts holding them to the manifold are not too rusty. 1/4x20 are really pretty wimpy bolts and it doesnt take much to twist off the head of the bolt so be careful. Also, make sure you use a 6 point socket on them The heads of the bolts are fairly soft and the way the riser is formed it is nearly impossiblt to get at the bolt with a socket wrench. I use a long extension to get the head of the wrench way up and out of the way of the manifold byt it is not possible to get the socket extension combo exactly vertical to engage the bolts. One other warning, watch out for the dipstick mount and these manifold to riser gaskets are a pain in the a$$ to remove!!

vicsponjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"manifold to riser gaskets are a pain in the a$$ to remove!!"<br /><br />So I should have a can of gasket remover and a wire wheel ready??? The bolts aren't rusted, I guess he put new bolts on when he changed the engine. Would be nice if he did something right. <br /><br />Managed to get the boat over the sidewalk and down the driveway today. Hope I can get it out!!!!<br /><br />I noticed the risers aren't too expensive, but haven't seen a price on the manifolds yet.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on a saltwater motor usually a wire wheel will eat up the rotten castiron. use a 3M pad on a drill or a roto-loc pad. they will rapidly eat gaskets but not cast iron. saltwater manifolds and risers have about a 3 yr life span. after that your on borrowed time. DO NOT use silly cone when reassembling.

vicsponjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The risers look like they'll come off essily. Don't know about the manifolds. Will I be able to tell the condition on the mainfolds once the risers are off, or is it necessary to take them off to inspect. I'm figuring if necesary I'll replace the risers and see how she runs then. That is if I can save up enough money to fill the 50 gallon tank :(

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by vicsponjr:<br /> Risers and manifolds were cleaned out a couple of years ago by prev owner, and hasn't seen much run time since then, but it was a salt water boat.
Way over due for manifolds, as they rust from inside out. 4 years in salt tops. I just lost one last week, creating a motor fulla salt water, that has been removed by a bunch of oil changes....

ottawamerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Vic I was just by the stadium and there might be a delay in the stage so they might have to delay the concert till monday night!! As of now there 18 hrs behind and missing one key part. This thing is HUGE!<br />Have a good trip, <br />See ya there I'll be driving the big red truck.<br /><br />Ottawa

vicsponjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i hope your kidding, i'm here in ottawa now at the best western