guys who went from vro to standard fuel pump

atrok3

Seaman Apprentice
I really need some help here. I have been told so much bs I dont know whats right from wrong. I have a johnson 140 hp 1985, was having and still having a fuel issue. I disconnected the vro side of the pump and its running much better still sneezing ,coughing and stalling coming out of wot. I dont think it has the power to pull enough fuel because the primmer ball goes soft and you cant see gas in the filter. At low speeds it is perfect. It would'nt even idel long when the vro was hooked up. Is there a fuel pump that can replace the vro/fuel pump.If so can I get a part #. Also would the fuel to oil ratio be 50:1 or should it be leaner, richer. Thank you for any feed back

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: guys who went from vro to standard fuel pump

You can adapt an earlier engine's plumbing and pump, but your sneezing, stalling, and caughing are probably engine and carb problems.

weekendfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The VRO conversion is pretty straight forward i am having my mechanic convert mine from VRO just because i trust premix more and removing the VRO pumps lessens the chance of something going wrong.
Just a matter of replacing the VRO set up with a non VRO pump and hook it up.
nice to get back the space that the oil tank takes up.
If the motor is stalling and spluttering i would be checking the plugs and then the carbs as the may not be allowing enough fuel to flow through.
Good luck

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I dont think it has the power to pull enough fuel because the primmer ball goes soft and you cant see gas in the filter.

If you are not pulling fuel through look for a blocked vent or a hose restriction, or the check valve at the tank. The bulb should go a little soft, but should not be sucked flat if that is what is happening.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

I really need some help here. I have been told so much bs I dont know whats right from wrong. I have a johnson 140 hp 1985, was having and still having a fuel issue. I disconnected the vro side of the pump and its running much better still sneezing ,coughing and stalling coming out of wot.

Things to look for there-
The throttle system needs to be synchronized. If you haven't done this or don't know what this is referring to then i'd bet it's a large part of the problem. If you do some searching around this forum or google then you'll come up with good directions but the factory manual is the best reference.
Idle timing needs to be set. Factory manual.
Carburetor fuel jet and idle air bleeders (like jets but they meter just air) and all passages inside the carbs need to be clean and free. Dirty carbs will cause the problems you're having.

I dont think it has the power to pull enough fuel because the primmer ball goes soft and you cant see gas in the filter. At low speeds it is perfect. It would'nt even idel long when the vro was hooked up. Is there a fuel pump that can replace the vro/fuel pump.If so can I get a part #.

Check every fuel line connection from the tank to the motor. The lines can fray and connections can be loose. If something is frayed then unhook the line and cut it off a half inch or whatever it takes to get fresh rubber. Only use marine hose clamps for fuel lines if at all possible (unless you just can't reach something) because zip ties won't cut it. You'll leak air into the lines.
Check for a closed tank vent. If a vent is closed then your pump won't be able to overcome it.

Also would the fuel to oil ratio be 50:1 or should it be leaner, richer. Thank you for any feed back

The fuel ratio should be 50:1.

atrok3

Seaman Apprentice

you can adapt lets say a 1982 fuel pump to a 1985? would there have to be brackets and things of that nature rigged up?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I dont think it has the power to pull enough fuel because the primmer ball goes soft and you cant see gas in the filter.

If you are not pulling fuel through look for a blocked vent or a hose restriction, or the check valve at the tank. The bulb should go a little soft, but should not be sucked flat if that is what is happening.

The primer ball is NOT supposed to remain hard. Look elsewhere!

atrok3

Seaman Apprentice

thank you all for a lot of good ideas. I did happen to notice a air sound while pumping the primmer ball coming from behind the carbs it sounded like. took the lower carbs off of and found a hose i didnt replace. What I think is it is called a" pulse line" I dont have a mannual as of yet but I do have a e-manual on my pc and have read a little bit on it. This from what I have read so far could be the cause of it all could it not? I am still going to a pre-mix (just seems safer and cheaper) While I have the carbs off can anyone tell me how to set the floots. I cleaned them real good last time and set them flush to the top of the bowl is that correct?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If I remember correctly, turn the carb upside down and the float should be parallel to the carb body.