engine runs fine with muffs but in water cuts off?

boxer15

Recruit
My evinrude 225 will idle fine on land at 2k rpm with the muffs and if you give it gas will idle fine without any backfire or anything. In the water though, the engine idles at only 500 probably due to backpressure but not sure since this is a 2 stroke and not a 4 stroke, and after a few seconds the engine will cut off. I felt the bulb for the gas and it was loosing pressure so I had my dad drive the boat while i manually pump it and later found that one of the carbs on the top had a really bad leak and was pouring out gas through the itermediate orifice the brass hole that is in the carb itself. I inspected that carb and found that the bowl was warped and will be changing it soon to see if that will fix it. My question is, could the gas leak cause the engine to cut off at low rpm's? The carb is on the top and the fuel rail is fed from the bottom, so that means that carb gets fuel last. I am not sure if this will fix my problem or not and I slip my boat 3 hours away from my home, so driving forth and back is difficult as I only have time on the weekend. So, has anyone ever had any experience with this.

just to let everyone know. the vro2 pump is working fine, oil is good and gas flow is good. I even took off a upgraded pump off a friend's 225 and ran premixed gas and oil and the same problem happened. I tried manually pumping the bulb again but it seems that the more I pump it the more leaks out of that intermediate orifice.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine runs fine with muffs but in water cuts off?

Ahoy, Boxer.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Sounds like an engine that has been tuned with no load on it and has fooled you (among many) that it is running fine when it is doing no work and has no back pressure.

BonairII

Commander

Replace the bowl and do whatever else you can to try and remedy the situation on your next trip to the boat. If you don't fix it then...you might want to figure a way to get your boat home so you can work on it there.

It'll cost you a fortune to keep making 6 hour round trips to try and troubleshoot the problem(assuming the culprit ISN'T the carb bowl).

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I think the best thing to do, is look over the components of the ignition really good. Leaking components will run fine at home with muffs or in the barrel, but out on the lake, will make you pull your hair out. The reason why, is because the humidity level on the lake is very high and electrical parts are ten times more likely to arc out on something and give trouble. In my years of being an outboard mechanic, I have had a few of these cases. This will be likely in plastic insulation that has cracks in it, or parts that are rusty.