5.0L to 5.7L swap questions

ZMAN-AZ

Cadet
Been lurking on this site for the past few days and learned alot. I have a 1993 Searay that is very clean, unfortunely the 5.0L engine has a scored #7 cylinder so a new long block is needed. I am looking at putting in the 5.7L. From what I have read everything seems to be a pretty forward swap. I have swapped a bad cylinder and piston on my ATV as well as I service Stihl products so I feel I can do this motor swap. My concern is the little things that may arise. Other than swapping the parts over I assume gaskets and other items will also need to be purchased. Can anyone give me a list what I would need to do this swap. I am 90 miles from any big city and only have a local Auto Zone / Napa. I would hate to be knee deep in this project to find out I need a $10 part to complete it.

BTW, I have a shop and forklift to pull the motor.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 5.0L to 5.7L swap questions

Been lurking on this site for the past few days and learned alot. I have a 1993 Searay that is very clean, unfortunely the 5.0L engine has a scored #7 cylinder so a new long block is needed. I am looking at putting in the 5.7L. From what I have read everything seems to be a pretty forward swap. I have swapped a bad cylinder and piston on my ATV as well as I service Stihl products so I feel I can do this motor swap. My concern is the little things that may arise. Other than swapping the parts over I assume gaskets and other items will also need to be purchased. Can anyone give me a list what I would need to do this swap. I am 90 miles from any big city and only have a local Auto Zone / Napa. I would hate to be knee deep in this project to find out I need a $10 part to complete it.

BTW, I have a shop and forklift to pull the motor.

Thanks

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Check out the Adults Only section at the top of this forum,...

Ya might find the manuals for yer motor, 'n drive....

How is the broken motor dressed,..??

cr2k

Captain

You should be able to order just about everything you need from iboats or NAPA.

ZMAN-AZ

Cadet

How is the broken motor dressed,..??

5.0LX, Thunderbird ignition, 4 barrel carb, Alpha 1 and everything appears to be stock.

What I did not tell you guys is I bought this a couple days ago and it "seemed" to run fine. Being I am 80 miles from any lake it was hard to take it out, but it did seem to run fine on ears. The guy had the idle a little high and covered the problem so now I am stuck with a bad boat. This is my first boat and now a real expensive one.

I do have the factory installation manual which is going to help with removal and installation of the engine/drive. As far as swapping all the parts over if I have some good documention I feel I will have no problem with this converstion. I am not a auto mechanic, just a guy who learns as he goes.

Pete104

Lieutenant

That's too bad that happened to ya'!
I'm just curious, because the same scenario comes up pretty often! What MADE you come to iBoats after the fact?

Your drive may or may not have a 1.65:1 gear ratio. The 5.7 was 1.47:1. It was the boat manufacturer option on which gear ratio. Look on the side of the upper, on the decal, you'll find the serial # & gear ratio.
Without fattening the carb, I think your better off w the 5.0L. I'm a little conservative that way!