Help Identifying outboard Motor

Windchime

Cadet
I have an old outboard motor that I would like to see run again, but I don't know for sure the make or model. I think it MAY be a Clinton Champion judging from photos I found on the Internet, but I could be wrong, and I have no idea of the year. This makes ordering parts really difficult. For any of you out there with the patience to go to the website imgur.com/a/THL2s (it's case sensitive) and look at the motor, perhaps you could identify it. I looked everywhere on the motor for a identification plate, but the ONLY thing I could find was the number 462-28934 stamped into the metal of the upper portion of the leg just under the motor.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help Identifying outboard Motor

Nothing Clinton about it. It's most likely a 1946 or so Firestone 3.6hp, made by Scott-Atwater. It actually does have some similarities to the Champion outboards of the late 1930s, too, as they were the same company (under the Champion brand) up until WWII when Scott-Atwater split from Champion.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Good call. Model 461 is a 1946 Firestone, made by Scott-Atwater. I have one. Except mine is a 467 with a recoil starter. They were 3.5hp that year.

EDIT: On second look, there is quite a bit of difference between yours and mine. Yours has the old pre-war Champion lower unit and a different gas tank. After WWII ended and people were so anxious to buy motors the companies had to scramble to get back into civilian production. So they scrounged up whatever they could find in the back room and put them together.

Attachments

• 1947 Firestone.jpg
    1947 Firestone.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The top of that tank and re-coil assembly almost reminds me of a JW model :D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Believe me, it ain't. But it is a great running motor, and one of the slowest idle you will ever find. Pretty decent speed too, for the horsepower. It'll smoke a JW/Lightwin.